Feature Request: No Toast! Use Windows Notifications

Copper Contributor

Hi,

My organization just forced us into the new Teams UI, which I've putting off for exactly the reason I'm opening this discussion.

• In Teams Classic: you could use the "Notifications and Actions" page in Windows settings to suppress pop-up notifications from Teams chats.

This meant you could leave Notifications in Teams set to on, and you'd get a sound notification, but you Windows could separately suppress the notification pop-ups.

• In Teams Crystal Pepsi New: the Notifications do not go through the Windows notification system. There only options are "Show in Banner" and "Off":

No "sound only/no toast"No "sound only/no toast"

The problem is "Show in Banner" is actually a toast that is always on top of every other Windows application.

This new implementation gets annoying very quickly. If I hear a notification sound, I can keep working in my other applications without being visually thrown off. When I get a toast for every chat, my productivity starts to drop very quickly.

What if Teams - the flagship collaboration tool from Microsoft - used the Notifications feature that's already in Microsoft Windows?

Or if that idea's too crazy, could you please make the notification settings more granular so that I can turn off toasts but leave sounds and flashing taskbar icon enabled?

3 Replies

@willFlowers it at one point had the option to choose which notification system you used. Not sure why they went back to built in only. The whole entire notification system has gone to **bleep**. Options stripped. Half working. It's pretty much the one thing that should be good in teams and it's not. 

This is a major issue for me. And I can't be alone. I manage folks. If I'm on a call and screen-sharing with someone I can't have Teams popping up notifications. I also am not going to go into Teams each time and try to silence this. Why the heck did the upgrade ignore my prior setting, I wondered. Ah because like so many "upgrades" what they've actually done is downgrade the user experience.
We're a company of over 100k people, and I (and others) are getting more and more folks on to Slack, even though it costs more!
I hate these popups!! Wasn't an issue on the 'old' Teams. Why is every 'upgrade' actually a downgrade in some way?!