User's 'Switch to Public Preview' gone

Copper Contributor

The option for user to switch to/from Public Preview in the ...->About->Public Preview is gone. Users still have the 'EA' icon and in About they have 'Developer Preview' selected (which cannot be de-selected) so I know the update policy assignment is correct, but the option to move in/out of Public Preview is gone. 

smoore6857_0-1684846757594.png

22 Replies
What happens if you uncheck Developer preview and restart?
It automatically re-checks after restart. Basically it cannot be disabled.
Give it a try clearing the Teams cache
I did, i blew away everything in the %appdata%\Microsoft\Teams folder and nothing changed.
And you do have the public preview features? Maybe it's only a temporary UI thing...
All of our users with the specified update policy applied have the same issue with the 'Public Preview' option no longer available. A clear indicator that they are getting preview features is the 'New Teams' toggle, but also some users are starting to see the new Channels experience which has some issues and they cannot seem to get out of it since the 'Public Preview' option isn't available to turn off.
Ok I understand better now, for the moment, I would remove the users that are having issues from the policy to force them out of preview, maybe keep one that you can to continue troubleshooting

We have the same new behavior. Do you have "targeted release" activated for your tenant or your users?

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/admin/manage/release-options-in-office-365?view=o365...

It seems, that users who are activated for targeted release have no choice any more. The Teams-Client keeps the Preview-Mode.

Also new for us: The Teams webclient https://teams.microsoft.com also shows Preview features.

Yes, all the same users who are in the Teams Update policy to allow for Preview features are in the Tenant Targeted Release. According to this (https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/public-preview-doc-updates), the update policy has no effect on users who are part of Microsoft 365 targeted release, so these 2 settings have been for years and should continue to be mutually exclusive, and users up until very recently had the option to switch in/out of Public Preview based on the Teams update policy setting.

There seems to be more differentiations between Public Preview of Teams Client and Targeted Release (on Tenant Level).

E.g. the new channel experience (Microsoft 365 Roadmap | Microsoft 365) can only be seen by users, who are targeted release activated.

When a user is just part of the Teams Public Preview Policy and the user switches to Public Preview, the new channel experience is not displayed yet.

This is a new 'experience' then as we've had all the same users in BOTH the targeted release and in the Teams update policy for several years, and those users have been able to switch in and out of Public Preview until just within the last couple of weeks. Yet, we have users in BOTH and they ARE seeing the new channel experience, which by your explanation should NOT be happening since they cannot get out of public preview anymore.

Quite the mess...
Just reading through this thread now and this is exactly something that I have started to notice for myself. So far I have not heard anything from my other Public Preview users in our org, but I am expecting one or two to notice something soon.
I have checked our targeted release settings and we do have a targeted release setting set for just a few users within our org and I am one of them. So this might explain now why this change of Public Preview is happening for me.
Not entirely sure. Think i'll just keep an eye on the teams app for what happens in the next update.

We are facing the same issue in our organization as well. "Developer preview" is checked without user input. And some of these users are getting the new channel experience even though I'm on the "old" one (I'm on the developer preview too). This is so confusing for users.

@Midhun even more oddly, I’m on the Developer Preview and had the new Channels for a day and then it went back :weary_face:

@smoore6857 

It seems that Microsoft added a new section under the Teams update policy and have automatically set it to "Microsoft controlled". In order to resolve the issue that you are facing, you will have to change that feature to "user controlled" instead.

PS: Developper preview works the same way as public preview as it gives you the same type of access, so toggling that option on and off once you have changed the Teams update policy will resolve your issue

@ritchieF404 

That does not resolve this issue. The new setting with the "microsoft controlled" option applies to the teams client (app) version, not the public/developer preview.

Screenshot 2023-06-20 153201.png

Switching to "classic teams as default" made no difference. And "show teams preview" was already on "users can opt in". 

@Jan_Steberl Multiple people have reported this, could you pass this to the appropriate team? 

Hi everyone, we recently rolled out an update to add Teams support for Targeted release customers.

If a user is in Targeted release as well as Teams Public Preview program, then Targeted release will take the precedence which means:
1. User will not see EA indicator on profile picture for Public Preview.
2. If the user is in Public Preview with 'Teams update policy -> Allow Public Preview' set to "Enabled", then that user will not have the option to opt in/out of Public Preview from the client.

Here is the announcement post for reference - Introducing Microsoft Teams support for Microsoft 365 Targeted Release commercial cloud customers - ...

Please let us know if you still have questions. Thank you for being the early adopters of Teams.

@Shikha_Varshney 

> If the user is in Public Preview with 'Teams update policy -> Allow Public Preview' set to "Enabled", then that user will not have the option to opt in/out of Public Preview from the client.

There are a couple of issues with that explanation:

1. Why does it show "developer preview" checked, allow you to uncheck it, but then have it come back checked after a reload? If the user is getting the "targeted release" then that's what it should say. And if opting out of targeted is not possible per user (is it?) then it should not let you uncheck it.
  2. For me and at least one other person in this thread, new channel experience is not active, developer preview is checked and public preview is not available but allowed. Per your explanation, we are in the targeted release. So why are targeted release features not active?