Sync GAL to Android & IOS devicees

Brass Contributor

Hi.

Does anyone have a working way of synchronizing the GAL to IOS and Android devices' native contacts app?
We are using intune, and i have tried with the app protection and app configuration policies, and with device configuration, and none of them give me the wanted result.
I can manage to the the Sync turned on, and manually from the outlook app select single users to sync, which works - but not the entire GAL automaticlly.....

I know there is alot of licensed 3. party software that can do this - i'm hoping someone here has an intune native solution to the issue..

7 Replies

@Hjorthen Please check my video here https://youtu.be/q1T_arcQL2o

Have you been facing issues with your #Intune enrolled #iOS device when it comes to synchronizing contacts to and from native contacts & #outlook? Then this video is for you! In this short video, I will explain the available options now to easily solve this problem. With these settings, you will ...
That's a long video that seems to talk about a lot of things that are unrelated to syncing GAL to Android phones. I couldn't find the section that spoke about syncing the GAL to phones, but if it exists, please advise how many mins & secs in to this very long video it explains the solution.
Hi Dan,

It’s not possible to sync GAL natively (as you mentioned, 3rd party and not sure they can do the job), you can only sync your Outlook registered contacts.

Hope this answers your question!
Moe
Try https://github.com/grahamr975/EWS-Office365-Contact-Sync. Let me know if you are succesful and how did you do it, so it will help other people too.

Hi @Hjorthen,

you can also use an app that makes GAL usable on Android and iOS devices without sync (i.e. https://secure-contacts.com).

Regards,
Markus

@Hjorthen 

As there is no native way to achieve this, you might want to consider using sync.blue to synchronize the Global Address List (GAL) with native contacts on Android and iOS devices.

Synchronizing the Global Address List (GAL) to iOS and Android devices' native contacts app is possible through various methods.

1. *Exchange Server*: If your organization uses Microsoft Exchange Server, you can configure Exchange ActiveSync (EAS) to sync the GAL with iOS and Android devices. This method requires setup on the Exchange server and device-side configuration.
2. *CardDAV*: CardDAV (Card Distributed Addressing Verification) is an open standard for syncing contacts. You can set up a CardDAV server to sync the GAL with iOS and Android devices. This method requires a CardDAV server setup and device-side configuration.
3. *LDAP*: LDAP (Lightweight Directory Access Protocol) is a protocol for accessing and syncing directory information. You can use LDAP to sync the GAL with iOS and Android devices. This method requires an LDAP server setup and device-side configuration.
4. *Third-party apps*: There are various third-party apps available that can sync the GAL with iOS and Android devices, such as Sync2, GAL Sync, or ContactSync. These apps often require setup on the device and may have additional configuration requirements.
5. *Microsoft Intune*: If your organization uses Microsoft Intune, you can use the Intune SDK to develop a custom app that syncs the GAL with iOS and Android devices.

Before proceeding, ensure you have the necessary permissions and follow your organization's security policies when synchronizing the GAL with mobile devices.