Best practices for ex staff and their devices - Security/Compliance

Copper Contributor

Hi All,

What are the best practices or the general consensus on what happens to an ex staff members AAD/AD account and device within Azure and Intune.

At present we only disable ex staff and leave the disabled account in Azure/AD (Hybrid environment) and leave the device in Intune...Only after 180 days is the device removed from AAD of non activity. 

My colleague is of the option, just leave the device and disabled user in AAD for record keeping as it does no harm leaving them there. 

Now I think, we should be doing the following:

Wiping the device via Intune (this will remove it from AAD and Intune)

Disable user from AAD/AD, remove from all groups and then once done, delete the user (I appreciate there might be broken links in SharePoint etc, but with a disabled user the same issue)

So, from a compliance and security prospective what are the best practices for dealing with ex staff and their devices?
I know every company has different ideas

Regards

Rachel  

2 Replies
I am afraid there is no good answer for this. There are no best practices here as everything will eventually come down to each organizations own security policy. In my personal opinion, a leaver's record can be retained for a set duration, but as a good housekeeping practice, it is also good to clean the inactive and stale objects after this set duration has passed.
The thing that must drive your decisions must be based on your data retention policies. Those will drive all decisions regarding accounts, data governance/retention, etc. And consequently, it will also drive how you handle accounts: Everything from immediate deletion of logins/credentials & remote wipe of devices all the way to just "changing passwords" and disabling remote access are on the table. Good question, but @rahuljindal-MVP is completely correct, there's not "best practice" because every case, every company, and every industry is different. It even changes over time as technology changes and evolves, as laws change. 15 years ago Fax machines were considered the cat's meow for HIPAA compliance, until one day a doctor's office sent his patient's positive HIV test results to an office Fax, where all the colleagues and management saw the results. $2 million later, Fax is no longer considered "HIPAA Compliant". Weird how that works.