AD Naming Conventions vs Intune/AutoPilot Conventions

Copper Contributor

In Active Directory we use a 20 or so character naming convention of all of our PC's, basically it is the location, cart, and serial number, and this works well for us as we are a school district, and it allows us to locate the pc's quickly. However, we are moving to Intune and eventually AutoPilot. Currently AutoPilot has a 15-character limitation. And to the best of my knowledge that cannot be changed or extended, correct? But here is my question, as we want to move to Autopilot for deploying our new machines, can a Group Tag or other automated device be used to allow me to use a longer name, or at least a way of filtering and finding a name more efficiently in Intune? And also, from a reporting standpoint to create reports of School 3's computer inventory vs schools 2's inventory?

As I don't believe this is possible, we will continue to build pc's using Kace or SCCM and then import them into Intune and manage them as a hybrid machine, rather than as a Joined machine. Our ultimate goal is to have them all be Joined, and eliminate AD, but we have not figured out a way of doing this yet. 

Would switching from standard Intune to Intune for Education benefit us in any way for this situation?

1 Reply
Just a suggestion, create multiple windows autopilot deployment profiles for each school and use Dynamic security group (use Group Tag for tagging the device while ingesting the Hardware HashID such as School1, School2 etc.)