SOLVED

My signature stopped working in OWA

Copper Contributor

I'm using Outlook web through the latest version of Edge and my signature stopped showing in new/reply as of the 21/04. It only comes back if I open the "settings" area click on "compose and reply" and close the window. But if I navigate away from emails, say the calendar and come back it goes again.

Its been working fine for years and its starting to affect other users in our 365 tenancy today.  

Any ideas?  

39 Replies
Thanks! I am the admin - a one-user account...

@Noel1664 

For me; all settings was looking good. The solution i tried. I logged into Admin for exchange and went to "Mailboxes" Then i went to Mail connection and i removed the policy for the specified user. Then i added it again (according to photo) Then it worked for the user. Case closed!

My signature dissappeared in OWA 2-3 days ago. Has been working for years.
Manual input does not work.
Not possible to re-enter the signature.
I am able to use a signature in Outlook 2010 (but I prefer to use OWA).

@jennglass 

Hi,

Im also an Admin for our 365 tenant. A user phoned in today as his OWA don’t display any Signature options and the std is gone when creating a new email. When I use my own Edge and log into my mailbox, I see and can handle the Signatures. But, when I in the SAME browser on my computer logs into the users mailbox, the menu options are half that of mine and I can’t access signatures.

I have done it all for the user, reset OWA policy for the account. I’ve done it on whole Org. Inactivated and activated the account, inactivated and activated OWA for the user, checked user roles etc. Still, I can use my signatures fine through OWA, my user can’t. I can't in the same browser I use for my own account (non admin). So, issue can’t be just in the browser compatibility or for a tenant. It somehow boils down into a single account and I can´t find what attribute or other to fix this.

Anyone else who see this on individual accounts?

@Karljohan_Bastad 

Top, User mailbox

Bottom, My mailbox

@Karljohan_Bastad I also got this problem today. And there is no signature setting any longer. Seems like some update removed this feature. I hope they will put it back soon.

@Jan_Sandbacka 
This is written in the Exchange admin center regaring this problem. You can in your own comment send a notification that you are effected in this to the team workin on it!

"

Users are missing some settings within Outlook on the web, including language change settings.

EX280152, Exchange Online, Uppdaterades senast: August 31, 2021 5:01 PM

Uppskattad starttid: August 23, 2021 5:46 PM

Problemtyp

Rekommendation

Status

Service degradation

Hantera aviseringar för det här problemet

Användarinverkan

Users are missing some settings within Outlook on the web, including language change settings.

Har du det här problemet?

Är det här inlägget användbart?

Alla uppdateringar

August 30, 2021 6:33 PM

Title: Users are missing some settings within Outlook on the web, including language change settings. User Impact: Users are missing some settings within Outlook on the web, including language change settings. More info: Users have reported that the following settings are missing; however, impact may not be limited to - Attachments Change Language Customize Actions Rules Signatures Sweep Impact appears to be limited to users configured with non-English languages. We’ve confirmed reports of impact from users set to Lithuanian, Norwegian, and Swedish. Our internal testing indicates that affected users could set their language to English to bypass impact; however, users may be unable to change their language back to their desired language choice until the issue is resolved. Current status: We've successfully validated the fix in our testing environment and are now ensuring through an additional internal environment that this fix fully resolves the impact without any unintended effects. We expect that this validation will complete and that the deployment to all environments will begin by our next update, at which time we'll have a better estimation on full impact resolution. Scope of impact: Impact may be limited to users configured with non-English languages. We’ve confirmed reports of impact from users set to Lithuanian, Norwegian and Swedish. Root cause: A recent change made to the platform to better align with localization per industry standards inadvertently introduced a regression that's resulting in the impact. Next update by: Wednesday, September 1, 2021, 8:00 PM (6:00 PM UTC)"

https://portal.office.com/AdminPortal/Home#/servicehealth 

@Per_S60 

Changing language to English does not help.

When trying to change email signature it is only idling.Compose and reply.png

@Fredrik53 

Note It is Microsofts advise! So report that to them. You can if you are domain admin for your Exchange 365 service do that in the link I provide in my post from your 365 site.

@Per_S60 Thank you! Today it started working again! :smiling_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Last update in this case from Microsoft!
EX280152, Exchange Online, Uppdaterades senast: September 9, 2021 9:23 PM
Starttid: August 23, 2021 2:09 PM, Sluttid: September 9, 2021 8:52 PM

Users were missing some settings within Outlook on the web, and admins were unable to access Exchange Online PowerShell.

September 9, 2021 9:23 PM
Title: Some users are missing some settings within Outlook on the web, and some admins can't access Exchange Online PowerShell

User Impact: Users were missing some settings within Outlook on the web, and admins were unable to access Exchange Online PowerShell.

More info: Users reported that the missing settings included, but may have not been limited to, the following:

Attachments
Change Language
Customize Actions
Rules
Signatures
Sweep

Impact was specific to users and admins configured with non-English languages. We had confirmed reports of impact from users and admins set to Lithuanian, Norwegian, and Swedish.

Our internal testing indicated that affected users and admins could set their language to English to bypass impact; however, users and admins may have been unable to change their language back to their desired language choice until the issue was resolved.

Final status: Our deployment of the fix has saturated throughout the majority of the affected environment, and we've determined via telemetry that this issue is resolved.

Scope of impact: The impact was limited to users and admins configured with non-English languages, such as Lithuanian, Norwegian, and Swedish.

Start time: Monday, August 23, 2021, 2:09 PM (12:09 PM UTC)

End time: Thursday, September 9, 2021, 8:52 PM (6:52 PM UTC)

Root cause: A recent change made to the platform to better align with localization per industry standards inadvertently introduced a regression that resulted in impact.

Next steps:
- We're reviewing our validation and testing of localization updates to prevent issues like this from occurring in the future.

This is the final update for the event.

September 7, 2021 8:55 PM
Title: Some users are missing some settings within Outlook on the web, and some admins can't access Exchange Online PowerShell User impact: Users are missing some settings within Outlook on the web, and admins are unable to access Exchange Online PowerShell. More info: Users have reported that the missing settings include, but may not be limited to, the following: Attachments Change Language Customize Actions Rules Signatures Sweep Impact appears to be specific to users and admins configured with non-English languages. We’ve confirmed reports of impact from users and admins set to Lithuanian, Norwegian, and Swedish. Our internal testing indicates that affected users and admins could set their language to English to bypass impact; however, users and admins may be unable to change their language back to their desired language choice until the issue is resolved. Current status: Our deployment of the fix has saturated throughout approximately 75 percent of the affected environment, and we're continuing to monitor its progress. We'll have a better estimation for completion of the deployment by our next scheduled update. Scope of impact: The impact appears to be limited to users and admins configured with non-English languages, such as Lithuanian, Norwegian, and Swedish. Start time: Monday, August 23, 2021, 2:09 PM (12:09 PM UTC) Root cause: A recent change made to the platform to better align with localization per industry standards inadvertently introduced a regression that's resulting in impact. Next update by: Thursday, September 9, 2021, 10:30 PM (8:30 PM UTC)

I thought I'd share my update here as to what happened: I reported the problem to Microsoft and even though my language is set as English, I am still having those issues.
Reporting it to Microsoft, I hope, gave them an idea that the problem may be of a broader scope than what was initially thought, however, I have no idea when I can expect a resolution on my side...

@jennglass 

Hi, we have the same problem. Sometimes it works for a couple of days and then it is gone again.

Where did you report it to Microsoft? I will also to it.

Thank you

Edvard

I reported it a few weeks ago. I still don't have any updates from them and still have the problem!

@jennglass Have you heard anything yet?

We are also experiencing this issue.. 

It's getting frustrating. It's not just not inserting the signature, in our case it is often flat out deleting the signature from the setup. I recreate the signature and a day or 2 later it's gone again. Add to the incredible slowness of the admin portal, and the often "Failure to load" messages when trying to do anything in the admin portal, Office is becoming un-administrable.

@TimmH 

With Internet Explorer this problem doesn't happen

Its only with other browser:

Microsoft Edge

Firefox

Google Chrome

The problem must be in the update of some script that runs on the client.
I noticed that the browsers above return the old version of the signature, as if it were in the cache.
With Internet Explorer this does not happen, it brings the correct version of the signature.

@Learner6009 this is occuring now in OWA as well. Could you verify this to your team?

I can confirm this IE thing and I could resolve the missing signature in newer browsers by deleting the old IE signature and unchecking both options for new and reply in IE.
It seems for compatibilty the signature in IE is a different one than shown in newer browsers, they are not synced either.
Settings APP in IE also is more restricted, there is no option to add more than one signature.

Then went to O365 settings in Chrome and added a new signature and now it works.

Seems that the older IE signature causes some issues in the cloud as it coexists with the newer ones.

Let me know if this resolved the issue.

@serotoninsteve Thank you so much!! This totally fixed it for me.