Excel/Word crashing when co authoring

Copper Contributor

Has anyone had any issues when co authoring in either excel or word? Both programs crash unexpectedly, but with no warning or error message. Nothing shows in the event logs as to what happened. This only happens when co authoring, and only one user is removed from the doc, when they are removed, they still appear to be in the document to the other users in the doc at that time. Reopening the doc picks up where they left off, but its massively affecting production!

I currently have a ticket open with 365 support (Ticket #:12768014) but we dont seem to be getting anywhere at the moment. 

Thanks in advance, Gary.

42 Replies
I'm still having this issue on a weekly basis in 2022, we're on version 2002 (Build 12527.21104). My coworkers use the cloud versions of Word, Excel, Powerpoint - so it is only affecting me in the desktop apps. It would be great if Microsoft could resolve this thing for us.

@JamieBird 

Does the issue described below have a work around. It is now 2022 and we are experiencing a problem with Microsoft Word locking up when multiple solution architects are adding content to the document. 

@Encore_Technologies The original problem we were having was resolved in Build 1904 back in 2019. If the problem has resurfaced in a current version I would recommend starting a new thread.

Good luck.