SOLVED

vlookup

Copper Contributor

I downloaded some results from the Masters Golf Tournament and would like to use vlookup to populate a spreadsheet with only select golfers. I've reduced the leaderboard to save space.

Paul00_0-1713900219093.png

The formula in cell L2 is =VLOOKUP($K2,$B$1:$H$10,3,TRUE), formula in cell M2 is =VLOOKUP($K2,$B$1:$H$10,4,TRUE), etc.

The result for the formula in cell L2 should lookup K2 (Scottie), find him in the range $B$1 and return column 3 which is 66. The results are coming from the last row for Cameron Young.

I can't figure what I am doing wrong.

4 Replies

@Paul00 

Change TRUE to FALSE to make VLOOKUP look for an exact match.

@Hans Vogelaar 

That definitely works, but I am wondering what the TRUE parameter is good for? I was hoping to enter a list of golfers without the country they are from. When I download the leaderboard table from the website there are small country flags depicting where the golfer is from. When copied to an Excel spreadsheet the flags become the country in text.

best response confirmed by Paul00 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Hans Vogelaar 

Thanks, that certainly explains it. In my case the use of wildcard characters helps.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Paul00 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Hans Vogelaar 

Thanks, that certainly explains it. In my case the use of wildcard characters helps.

View solution in original post