update 2 tables at once

Copper Contributor

Hello all,

I have encountered a challenge. My goal is to ensure that when a user inserts a new row into table A, the same row should be added to table 2. Both tables are present in the same file but on different worksheets.

simon_70_1-1691159854657.png

4 Replies

@simon_70 

Unfortunately, Excel for the web does not support VBA, which means you cannot use macros to automatically insert a row in one table when a row is inserted in another table. VBA macros are only available in the desktop version of Excel.

However, you can use some workarounds to achieve a similar result in Excel for the web:

1. Use Power Automate (formerly known as Microsoft Flow): You can create a flow in Power Automate to monitor changes in Table A and then add the corresponding row to Table 2 in the same Excel file.
  2. Use a linked table: Instead of having two separate tables on different worksheets, you can create a linked table on the second worksheet that references the data from Table A on the first worksheet. When you insert a new row in Table A, the linked table on the second worksheet will automatically update to show the same data.
  3. Use SharePoint lists: If your Excel file is stored in SharePoint, you can use SharePoint lists to achieve a similar result. You can create a SharePoint list that mirrors the data from Table A, and any changes made in Table A will be reflected in the SharePoint list.

While these workarounds may not offer the same level of automation as VBA macros, they can help you synchronize data between two tables in Excel for the web.

The text was created with the help of AI.

My answers are voluntary and without guarantee!

Hope this will help you.

Greetings @NikolinoDE

I'm very grateful for your assistance.

I've given Power Automate a try, but I'm struggling to identify the suitable trigger. Do you have any suggestions or insights?

Thank you kindly.

alternatively, dynamic web and database also an option.

@simon_70 

Not sure what @NikolinoDE meant, to my knowledge the only trigger on the content is

image.png

but that's manual work. Never tested it. The rest is on the file level, when it was created/modified. Here you may extract created/modified rows compare with previous version of the file, such workaround is here When an Excel row is created, modified, or deleted... - Power Platform Community (microsoft.com). Perhaps other solutions exist, but in any case that's not straightforward way.