SOLVED

Understanding a Data Validation formula

Copper Contributor

One of our employees has imported a Google Sheet into Excel and one of the cells contains this formula;

=OR(NOT(ISERROR(DATEVALUE(I8))), AND(ISNUMBER(I8), LEFT(CELL("format", I8))="D"))

If you enter a date in the format Fri 17 Nov, which matches the formatting of the cell, it returns this error  

markbt_0-1700225101905.png

Is some one able to explain what this Data Validation is trying to do please?

many thanks

3 Replies

@markbt 

One of these must be true:

NOT(ISERROR(DATEVALUE(I8)))
The result of converting a text string that looks like a date to a date is not an error (It's a date)

AND(ISNUMBER(I8), LEFT(CELL("format", I8)) = "D").
I8 is a number and it's in a date format (Date format uses "D1", "D2", "D3", etc.). LEFT is being used to determine if the result of CELL contains a "D" prefix.

Your entry is not accepted because it's text and DATEVALUE is not able to convert it to a date.  You could format the cell as ddd mmm d and enter the date as 11/17 as a workaround.

@markbt 

The formula tries to check whether the value entered is either a date, formatted in a number of special ways, or a text value that looks like a valid date.

The problem is that the part CELL("format",I8) is not reliable - it returns "G" instead of "D..." for many date formats in Excel.

See the section Cell Format Codes in CELL function 

best response confirmed by markbt (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@markbt 

Another workaround might be to simplify the data validation and use date validation as such:

Patrick2788_0-1700229983871.png

This avoids the use of CELL.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by markbt (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@markbt 

Another workaround might be to simplify the data validation and use date validation as such:

Patrick2788_0-1700229983871.png

This avoids the use of CELL.

View solution in original post