Problem with data validation IFS

Copper Contributor

Hi there,  hope community could help me 

I would like to copy and paste an IFS formula in data validation, but Excel doesn't allow me.

Formula works perfect in cell.

Maybe data validation has a maximum number of characters to copy and paste a formula, I don't know :(

Formula that I want to copy is in Cell E4. Once I can manage to create this data validation formula should be bigger btw

I attached excel to better understanding of issue 

Thanks in advance for any suggestion 

Best regards

JF

5 Replies

@josem115 Not sure if the structure of your sheet is optimal, but I revised it a bit to demonstrate how you need to set-up data validation (DV) using named ranges and INDIRECT. As you have already discovered, you can not put a formula as a DV list. jhnPerhaps it helps you to finish your schedule.

@josem115 

The max length limit for the formula to work with data validation is only 210 characters.

Just check this,, 

@josem115 issue is not how to use Data validation but he is struggling with "Formula use for data Validation", and the formula he was trying, was violation of basic rule in regard of maximum numbers of characters, allowed with formula for Data Validation are 210 Ch. only !.

@Rajesh_Sinha 

IMHO, such formula here is not needed at all

Need of method or a formula depends on the object, what the user is trying to achieve, it's situational, and I've addressed the core issue raised by @josem115 , referenced through the attached worksheet, is violation of a thumb rule, max number of characters allowed for the formula in data validation. Using or referencing formula for data validation is very common !