Sorting data that uses the CHOOSECOL formula

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I'm using excel to keep score of our golf league. I've set different sheets within the worksheet for each week and different rounds. I used the =choosecols formula to copy all of the list and scores from our master sheet into each individual weeks to sort the scores and set the points depending on rank for that week. When I attempt to sort the data in the "Total" column, it will not allow it to be sorted due to the first 3 columns being part of an array. Is there any way around  this?

3 Replies

@gjefcoat27 

You've had 50 views and no replies. That's unusual; when it does happen it's usually because the description of the situation just raises more questions. In your case, it's difficult to envision what you're working with, why you're doing it the way you appear to be (why separate sheets for each week, for example?).

Is it possible for you to post a copy of the workbook, or a mockup of it, replacing all real names with the names of Disney or other movie characters. Post it on OneDrive or GoogleDrive with a link pasted here that grants access to it.

@gjefcoat27 

You can't sort a spill through the usual methods.  You can use the SORT function in your formula to sort the result of CHOOSECOLS.

@Patrick2788   Good catch. I'd overlooked the CHOOSECOL aspect of it.

@gjefcoat27  but is the TOTAL column a separate column, one you've added to the dynamic array that results from CHOOSECOL? It sounded as if that might be the case the way you refer to "the first three columns"