Pivot Error - PLEASE HELP

Copper Contributor

I have been using Excel for many decades, since maybe 1960.

I consider myself pretty good at it … but now 78 years old (maybe a bit rusty) and this error has always been a problem.

My excel file has perhaps 15+ pivots tables in it.

But when I do CTRL-ALT-F5 this error appears … see file attached.

"The Pivot field name is not valid. To create a PivotTable report, you must use data that is organized as a list with labeled columns. If you are changing the name of a PivotTable field, you must type a new name for the field."

I tried to go to every Pivot table in my file to do a refresh on it but cannot find it.

HOW DO I FIND IT??

Thank you.

5 Replies

@Joe-D78

Hi,

The file isn't attached!

@Joe-D78 

@Joe-D78 wrote:

I have been using Excel for many decades, since maybe 1960.

Wow, that would be a record. Even challenging Bob Umlas who has used Excel since V0.99 (1985).

Even more challenging considering that the first spreadsheet program VisiCalc only appeared in 1979.

@Joe-D78 

Alt/JT F A

Not that I would use it.  I am not keen on keyboard shortcuts since my memory for such things is rubbish and, as a result, I am more likely than not to hit the wrong key sequence.  Also found

https://stackoverflow.com/.../default-excel-keyboard-shortcut-ctrl-alt-f5-no-longer-works

@Detlef Lewin 

You wrote "Even more challenging considering that the first spreadsheet program VisiCalc only appeared in 1979,.

I'm not going to challenge that VisiCalc date, but I need to add to this to the conversation:  recently I was reflecting on the fact that I was creating applications (in HR of all things) using addressable multi-dimensional arrays in 1971-72 using the programming language APL, on an IBM mainframe. Check it out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APL_(programming_language)

So when spreadsheets came along I moved very easily into their models. I don't think I ever used VisiCalc per se, but did have some shareware version on my luggable Compaq at home; moved to Lotus 1-2-3 of course, at work, but also spent some years with Borland's Quattro, and eventually migrated to Excel. These days Excel is it, though I have some quick and dirty applications in Numbers (hey, I have Macs) and even Google's Sheets. Excel tops 'em all........

Just for the record, with @Joe-D78 , I recently celebrated my 78th Birthday. My grown children know they can come to me with their Excel questions, among other technical issues.....

@mathetes 

I'm impressed. The only you missed is Multiplan, but at the time of it you were with IBM.

By the way, VisiCalc went to the market on October 17, 1979 which is now celebrated as Spreadsheet Day (actually it was version 1.37).

Happy Birthday, even if in some past, and all the best!