Nested If function with multiple criteria

Copper Contributor

Good Morning,

I want to do a nested if statement... but am writing the formula wrong I think...
basically I have a list of areas in NYC, Tribeca, midtown west, midtown east etc.. within each area there are also different prices.. based on the area and the price range I want an e-mail sent to a specific person.
ex: if Tribeca and over or = $3000 send to jake@gmail.com if not send to Emily@gmail.com, if midtown west, =or over 3000 send to jake, if not send to Emily

is there a formula for me to do this?

Thanks in advance!

S

1 Reply

Hello,

consider the following screenshot:

A table contains the price range in ascending order in columns A and B. Across row 1 is a list or the areas. The body of the table contains the name (or email) of the person to be contacted if the price is in that range in that area.

In columns I and J are a few prices and areas and in column K the respective name is looked up with the formula

=INDEX($C$2:$F$7,MATCH(I2,$A$2:$A$7,1),MATCH(J2,$C$1:$F$1,0))

The first Match function looks for a row where the price is less than or equal to the value in column I. The second match looks for an exact match for the area the header row of the table. 

2017-06-26_9-17-01.png

In words: find the row in column A that is smaller than or equal to the price, then find the column that has the exact Area and return the cell where that row and that column cross.

This setup is much easier to maintain than nested IF functions.