SOLVED

Manually enter data in rows of excel table using Power Query

Copper Contributor

I have an excel table (say Table1) which is loaded using a power query.

Table1 has data which looks like the following:

Akshit_Bansal_0-1718400011668.png

Now I ran a query on table1 to add a blank row for each product, to calculate "Cost of Goods Sold". And I set the default values to be 0 for 2027 and 2028 columns for "Cost of Goods Sold".

Now I want the user to be able to enter the value for "Cost of Goods Sold" in the excel table but every time I refresh the excel, the values that I enter manually get turned back to 0 again.

How do I get the values that I enter to stay?

8 Replies

@Akshit_Bansal 

That's to query table with manually added row and merge it with the query which returns data from external source. For that you need to have (or generate) , unique ID for each records in the table. Merging shall be within the query which load table into the grid.

You may goggle for self-referencing table. Usually that's about manually added columns, but with some modifications shall work for rows.

Thank you for the help @Sergei Baklan

I have tried using the internet and doing some experiments myself to find help but only found solutions for manually added columns as you mentioned. I would really appreciate your help with finding a solution for manually added rows.

Thank you.
best response confirmed by Akshit_Bansal (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Akshit_Bansal 

The idea as in attached. But it depends on data logic. How to create the key and how to keep sorting depends on that.

@Sergei Baklan 

Than you so much for the help!

Although I have some questions, I went through the solution and didn't understand the purpose of the two excel tables. Could you please elaborate a bit on the solution? I would really appreciate it, you've been a life saver.

@Akshit_Bansal 

First table is data source. That could be something else - external file, SQL, whatever. Actually we need only second table. Power Query returns data external source into it, that's what we do on first step. After that query returned table again and combine with initial query.

@Sergei Baklan 

If the first table ("Source") is the data source, how is it referencing the second table ("Source_1") in its query to load "Source_1".

Can you help me understand the timeline of creation of the two tables. Which table is loaded first and then which query runs on which table?

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I'm a beginner in Power Query and I'm not able to understand.

@Sergei Baklan

Could you please explain how is the query "Source_1" created?

Because as far as I understood, the data source for query "Source_1" is the resultant table of the query "Source". However "Source_1" is being used in the creation of query "Source". It's kind of like an interconnected loop which I am not able to understand.

I would be really grateful if you could you please help me out with this.

@Akshit_Bansal 

First, you create Source on any data and load result to the grid.

Second, you query that result, that will be Source_1

Third, you open Source again and modify it using Source_1. With that manually added data combined with the data queried from initial source.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Akshit_Bansal (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Akshit_Bansal 

The idea as in attached. But it depends on data logic. How to create the key and how to keep sorting depends on that.

View solution in original post