SOLVED

Issue with comments/threaded comments/notes

Copper Contributor

I recently did something to my spreadsheet locally, and while it still opens fine, on the webversion it didn't.

So I copy/pasted everything over to a new spreadsheet and it opens fine now.

However, the comments, which were all added from the online platform are not in there any more, and so I decided to VBA my way out of it, but I think I made it worse. I removed all the "Threaded comment blablabla stuff" from the comments locally and.. long story short - 

I need to copy all of my comments from the original sheet to the new sheet - which is easy, just ctrl+alt+v and select comments.... except that only works locally. When I open up the spreadsheet online, I can only see the comments (as notes) which I've added after I VBA cleaned the other comments.

If I try to manually add the "Threaded comment blabla stuff" to the comments, the online won't open at all, even after I have removed that edited comment. And such I had to create a new spreadsheet yet again.

How can I fix this?

4 Replies
Can you:
- Open both files in desktop Excel
- Copy the sheet from the original file to the "new" file
- Open the new file in Excel on-line
- Copy the comments from the "old" sheet to the "new" sheet

@Jan Karel Pieterse excel online does not support copying of comments, that was the first thing I tried. I can make the new file and open online no problem, but Ctrl+alt+v does nothing and half the ribbon bar is missing as well, as online is only "the basics".

I'll link the two sheets, there is no confidential information so go ahead. I think the only way to fix it is with a script if some kind

Old sheets with comments

New sheet, no comments 

best response confirmed by Seabottom (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Seabottom If you can somehow copy the Finances tab from the old to the new file, then this script will paste everything from the "old" Finances (2) tab to the new Finances tab:

function main(workbook: ExcelScript.Workbook) {
  // Your code here
  let srcRng = workbook.getWorksheet("Finances (2)").getRange("A1:I168");
  let tgtRng = workbook.getWorksheet("Finances").getRange("A1:I168");
  tgtRng.copyFrom(srcRng,ExcelScript.RangeCopyType.all)
}

But the only way I was able to open the "Old" file was by using desktop Excel. Then it offered to do some repairs. After that I copied the sheet to the other file you attached an I copied the comments using the script above.

I can't check whether the comments are intact. See attached.

@Jan Karel Pieterse 

At first the code looked like any old ctrl+c/ctrl+v command, but I can confirm, that even when I open the newly created excel spreadsheet, all the comments are there. Which is strange, but I am super happy about that!

Why only a script would work, I don't know, but you have saved my weekend, as I was going to do it all back manually. Bless your heart!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Seabottom (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Seabottom If you can somehow copy the Finances tab from the old to the new file, then this script will paste everything from the "old" Finances (2) tab to the new Finances tab:

function main(workbook: ExcelScript.Workbook) {
  // Your code here
  let srcRng = workbook.getWorksheet("Finances (2)").getRange("A1:I168");
  let tgtRng = workbook.getWorksheet("Finances").getRange("A1:I168");
  tgtRng.copyFrom(srcRng,ExcelScript.RangeCopyType.all)
}

But the only way I was able to open the "Old" file was by using desktop Excel. Then it offered to do some repairs. After that I copied the sheet to the other file you attached an I copied the comments using the script above.

I can't check whether the comments are intact. See attached.

View solution in original post