Inserting todays date

Copper Contributor

I know that this topic comes up regularly, but when I used "search" the previous posts were truncated, making them useless.

I'd like to insert the current date in column "A" automatically if anything is typed in column "B" (or "C")

I'm recording my weight in "B" and my waistline in "C" ...

I'm using Excel 2010

Also, in this conversation, I've pressed "Post" about 6 times now... am I getting through?

Can I search for my own posts?

7 Replies

@Steve Swift You'd need a piece of VBA code determining that something was typed/changed in B and/or C and then insert todays date on that row, but avoid that old dates are overwritten by the current date in case you correct an old entry. Possible, but why make it difficult?

Simply type e.g. "jan25" (or "25jan"), without the quote marks, for today's date in the date cell in col A and Excel will instantly recognise and format it as a date.

And Yes you can see you own posts. Click on your profile icon (top-right). Select My Subsribtions and you'll get a list of the topic you are involved in (i.e. started, commented in or subscribed to). On your Profile page you can see all conversations you started under "My Activity".

@Steve Swift 

Both ways of adding timestamp, with formulas only but using circular references or with VBA, are described here Automatically Entering a Data Entry Time 

@Riny_van_Eekelen 

Thanks for the prompt reply. 

I've already marked the "A" column as dates, and entered 5 sequential dates, none of which showed any inclination to automatically complete the dates. That's why I'm here.

Perhaps my Excel 2010 doesn't like the format 25/01/2020 ? 

It seems happy to use my typed dates along the X-axis.

I've attached my xlsx file so you can have a good laugh at my expense!

Biography: I was never very good with spreadsheets, I was an IBM Mainframe system programmer when they became popular, so off my radar.

Now, whenever I try to use a spreadsheet it is as if every control, no matter how small, has an underlying meaning of "Destroy". I've been trying to make a chart from my data, and I've nearly rubbed the "K" (as in Control-K for undo) off my keyboard. I'll be asking a plethora of simple questions over the next few months. I've tried reading the help, but after a couple of steps I run into a step that's either not in my version, or just doesn't work. 

@Steve Swift Thought I had a solution for your. But further testing revealed it didn't work. Will get back soon.

@Steve Swift Got it now. Confused myself in an earlier post (deleted). The attached workbook has your data in a structured table and both the table and chart should expand automatically when you drag down the date. "25-01-2020" will become "26-01-2020" and you'll see the X-axis "grow". Enter your new measurements and the lines will follow. Just yell is if it doesn't work for you.

@Riny_van_Eekelen 

Hello again, and thank you. I really appreciate your help, and your attachment.

I know all about confusion; I'm in my  70th year (I tell most people that I'm nearer to 60 than I am to 50... which is mathematically correct)

I got off onto the wrong foot when I read your most recent addition, because I was reading the Tech Community notification in my Gmail, which doesn't contain your attachment. Eventually I realised I had to view your post in the community.

I have a few small changes to make, but now I have your updated version I can fiddle about safely; I can always start again from your version.

Time for breakfast, if I can remember how to make the porridge!      

Incidentally, is there an Excel Community for novices?
I feel uncomfortable taking up the time of the experts.