Hyperlinks in Excel are changing path

Copper Contributor

I have a problem with hyperlinks in my excel file. In my organization we have an excel file with more than 1000 hyperlinks to PDF files which are on our server. I don't know why but sometimes hyperlinks are changing path for example from C:\Users\Janek\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Bank\Checking\1234.pdf to C:\Users\Janek\AppData\Roaming\Bank\Checking\1234.pdf and after that I'm not able to use hyperlinks. Is there any way I can fix that?

2 Replies

@Acq3Z 

One possible reason why the hyperlinks are changing path is that you have moved or renamed the excel file or the PDF files.

Another possible reason is that you have enabled the “Update links on save” option in Excel, which automatically updates the links based on the relative path of the files.

To fix this problem, you can try the following steps:

• Make sure that the excel file and the PDF files are in the same folder or location on your server.
  • Disable the “Update links on save” option in Excel by going to File > Options > Advanced > General and unchecking the box next to it.
  • Edit the hyperlinks manually by right-clicking on them and selecting Edit Hyperlink. Then, change the path to match the correct location of the PDF files.
  • Save and close the excel file and reopen it to check if the hyperlinks work correctly.

I hope this helps. 

NikolinoDE

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

We can't have pdf files in the same folder as the Excel file. Is there another way to link PDFs to Excel? (I don't want to upload PDFs to Excel)