How to connect data from one workbook to another

Copper Contributor
I have individual workbooks that I want to pull data from into a master workbook. The cells I need to pull the data from, have data validation. The regular way to create that connection doesn’t work. It shows the cell as 0.

How can I create that connection so that if I select an input from the data validation drop down in the individual workbook, it’ll automatically show in the master workbook?
1 Reply

@Sarphanis 

How can values from other documents be linked?

Sometimes in Excel you need to link cell references from another spreadsheet that are not in the same document. That is also possible. Basically, all you have to do is add the name of the document to the cell reference described above. This is marked with square brackets ("[" or "]").

Example:

=[Document1]Origin!G9

You use this variant when the other folder with the name "Document1" is open. On the other hand, if the document is not open, use the path where it is saved.

Example:

=C:\Files\FolderName\[Document1]Origin!G9

You don't have to enter cell references to other documents manually, you can link the cell using the mouse. To do this, open both documents that you need. Click the target cell and type an equals sign in the cell. Then simply switch to the other document and there click on the cell whose value you need. Press the Enter button. Finally, check whether Excel has set the correct reference - you will see it again in the entry line when you activate the target cell.

Conclusion: It is possible to use cell references from another spreadsheet in Excel without any major problems. You can use this function, for example, to create overviews or to query values ​​from other workbooks that you often need at the same time.

Hope I was able to help you with this information :).

NikolinoDE

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)