How i make excel to repeat actions in the following sheets when i make a change in the current one.

Copper Contributor

Say I'm working on a sheet and I make a change in the amount of money a person is owed. The sheets are named after the months, so if I make a change in the November sheet, how do I repeat them over the next months?.

1 Reply

@Carlos93126726 

To automatically propagate changes made in one sheet to other sheets in Excel, you can use formulas, linking cells, or even VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) macros. Here are a few approaches you can consider:

1. Formulas:

If the structure of your sheets is consistent, you can use formulas to link cells across sheets. For example, if the amount owed for a person in November is in cell A1, you can enter the following formula in the corresponding cell in December:

='November'!A1

This will make the December cell reflect the value in November's cell. You can copy this formula across all relevant cells.

2. 3D Reference:

You can use a 3D reference to sum or perform operations across multiple sheets. For example, if your sheets are named "January," "February," etc., and the amount owed is in cell A1, you can sum the values for all months in a summary sheet:

=SUM(January:December!A1) 

3.VBA Macro:

For more advanced automation, you can use VBA to create a macro that automatically updates values across sheets when a change is made. This requires knowledge of VBA programming.

Here is a simple example (code is untested):

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
    Dim ws As Worksheet
    For Each ws In ThisWorkbook.Sheets
        If ws.Name <> Me.Name Then
            ws.Range(Target.Address).Value = Target.Value
        End If
    Next ws
End Sub

This VBA code, when placed in the sheet module of a particular month (right-click on the sheet tab, choose "View Code," and paste the code), will update the corresponding cell in all other sheets whenever a change is made.

Remember to save your workbook as a macro-enabled workbook (.xlsm) if you're using VBA.

Choose the method that best fits your needs based on the complexity of your workbook and the level of automation you require. Always save a backup copy before making extensive changes, especially when working with macros.  The text and steps were edited with the help of AI.

My answers are voluntary and without guarantee!

Hope this will help you.

Was the answer useful? Mark as best response and Like it!

This will help all forum participants.