How do I set up certain types of data in an imported Microsoft List?

Copper Contributor

I have moved a Microsoft List from one shared platform to my platform. The way I did this was to first download it as an Excel file to my local computer. Then I formatted the CSV data to be an actual Table in Excel. Then I saved this into an Excel Workbook file.

Now, I assume it goes without saying that, doing all this and using the resulting file to upload and create a new Microsoft List would mean that all the data type information is lost and each column would be assumed to be text.

After I have used the Excel Workbook file to set up the new Microsoft List, I am taken to the "Customize" phase where I can define the column type. I can match the "Title" column to be the same as the Microsoft List I am copying from. I can set data types defined as Choice to be a Choice type. But here I come to my first question. How do I further set up a Choice data types to be a set of types and have them color-coded as they are in the List I am copying from?

And here is my second question. A few of the columns are Person types. How do I set up a Person type? The Person option is not even available as an option in the Customize phase.

The only options I am given are:

• Single Line of Text
  • Multiple Line of Text
  • Choice
  • Title
  • Do Not Import
1 Reply

@wm-thompson 

Hello! You've posted your question in the Tech Community Discussion space, which is intended for discussion around the Tech Community website itself, not product questions. I'm moving your question to the Excel space - please post Excel questions here in the future.

(If you think it is more appropriate for the SharePoint space, I can also understand that - in that case, feel free to repost there!)