SOLVED

How do I copy and paste excel rows based on a common cell value (common key) ?

Copper Contributor

Ok I inherited an Excel document that has a bunch of mismatched records(17k). I'm trying to find a way to append rows from a common value in the far left column (Col D) to Col L and all the rows associated with to column X. Do I use VLOOKUP  or is there a rule I would have to do ? This would save me a lot of time. screenSnip_gsj.png

thanks!

2 Replies
best response confirmed by Hans Vogelaar (MVP)
Solution

@GSJones 

=INDEX($X$2:$AC$10,MATCH($L17,$X$2:$X$10,0),COLUMN(A$1))

=VLOOKUP($L17,$X$2:$AC$10,COLUMN(A$1),FALSE)

Does the small sample represent what you want to do with a large database? Either INDEX and MATCH or VLOOKUP can be entered in cell M17 and filled across range M17:R25 to append the data. Both formulas work in Excel 2013 and in all more recent versions of Excel.

append data.png

=FILTER($X$2:$AC$10,$X$2:$X$10=L17)

If you have access to the FILTER function you can use this formula. In the example the formula is in cell M17 and filled down to cell M25.appending data.png

thank you so much! you are a life saver!!!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Hans Vogelaar (MVP)
Solution

@GSJones 

=INDEX($X$2:$AC$10,MATCH($L17,$X$2:$X$10,0),COLUMN(A$1))

=VLOOKUP($L17,$X$2:$AC$10,COLUMN(A$1),FALSE)

Does the small sample represent what you want to do with a large database? Either INDEX and MATCH or VLOOKUP can be entered in cell M17 and filled across range M17:R25 to append the data. Both formulas work in Excel 2013 and in all more recent versions of Excel.

append data.png

=FILTER($X$2:$AC$10,$X$2:$X$10=L17)

If you have access to the FILTER function you can use this formula. In the example the formula is in cell M17 and filled down to cell M25.appending data.png

View solution in original post