SOLVED

Help

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I am having difficulties with a formula, I hope some one can help.

I am using VLOOKUP to match postcodes, That part is fine. However I need help with the formula, so if the postcodes match, then to equal another cell (name). 

Please help 

Thank you 

6 Replies

Hi Lucy,

Could you explain your set up more detailed? What information is matched where?

I.e. 

Goal is to fill name of postcode in column B of Table 1, based on postcode in column A of Table 1

Column B in Table 1 is filled based on Vlookup after value from column A from a Table 2 existing of all possible postcodes and names.

Is that the correct interpretation? 

BR
Andreas

Hi Andreas,

Thank you for your response.

So I need column A in spread sheet 2, matched to column B in spread sheet 1, If they are exact matched to equal the name in column A on spread sheet 1, So the agent name would then appear next to the customers name, Does that make sense?

Example attached 

Hi,

I have to admit, it does not exactly make sense. As I read your last comment the agent number should be replaced with agent name if customer name equals customer name, and that does not make sense to me. I must be misunderstanding something.

What column is supposed to change based on the lookup? B in 2? Or C in 1? 

best response confirmed by Ingeborg Hawighorst (MVP)
Solution

Hello,

if you want the agent number to appear next to the customer name, in column B on the sheet on the right hand side of your screenshot, then you need an Index/Match combination. You cannot use VLookup in this scenario, because for VLookup the lookup column must be on the left and in your data the lookup column (the customer names) is to the right and the agent is on the left.

Let's assume that the sheet on the left hand side of your screenshot is called Sheet1 and you are entering the formula into cell B1 on the other sheet. It goes like this:

=index(Sheet1!A:A,match(Sheet2!A1,Sheet1!B:B,0))

The Match() function looks up the name from cell A1 and finds it in Sheet1, column B. Match returns a number. Index then uses that number as the row number for column A in Sheet1 and the formula returns the agent.

Does that make sense?

Perfect thank you so much.

That worked.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Ingeborg Hawighorst (MVP)
Solution

Hello,

if you want the agent number to appear next to the customer name, in column B on the sheet on the right hand side of your screenshot, then you need an Index/Match combination. You cannot use VLookup in this scenario, because for VLookup the lookup column must be on the left and in your data the lookup column (the customer names) is to the right and the agent is on the left.

Let's assume that the sheet on the left hand side of your screenshot is called Sheet1 and you are entering the formula into cell B1 on the other sheet. It goes like this:

=index(Sheet1!A:A,match(Sheet2!A1,Sheet1!B:B,0))

The Match() function looks up the name from cell A1 and finds it in Sheet1, column B. Match returns a number. Index then uses that number as the row number for column A in Sheet1 and the formula returns the agent.

Does that make sense?

View solution in original post