Generate list based on fillable cell values

Copper Contributor

I am trying to create a spreadsheet that allows us to generate a list of labels based on cells that have text and quantity information. Essentially, we have labels that we use on every project, and there are only minor differences between each project, either in the naming convention used, or the quantity of the labels needed. I would like to create a form that allows the user to input the naming convention for the label, and the quantity required, at which point Excel will fill in the information in a list format. Below is an example of how these labels look, and the information I want to be fillable. Any help or starting point on this would be helpful, I've been experimenting with a few things, but so far nothing has really accomplished what I'm attempting. The area on the left is what the list should look like, with the red highlighted text being what I would want to pull from the Naming Convention cells to the right. The # of feeders per equipment cells would be used to give excel a number of entries to generate for the list. Not entirely sure if this is fully possible, but any advice or ideas anyone has would be great, enough for me to start experimenting and maybe develop a less advanced version of what im trying for. 

jasmith17_0-1696606716600.png

3 Replies

@jasmith17 

You've had over 50 views, no replies. I'm going to step out on a limb and speculate that the reason for no replies is that although I'm sure what you want to do is crystal clear to you, it ain't to the reader who is unfamiliar with your project.

That said, I'm quite sure that--whatever it is that you're hoping to accomplish--it can be done. But we need to be clear on what that is. My guess is that you could use Mail Merge in Word, with the Excel spreadsheet as the data source, to accomplish the printing of these labels. But what is that label--my guess is that it's what is in the right hand side of your image. Where do the numbers come from? How are they entered?

There's a lot needing explanation still.

Since you apparently already have a spreadsheet working, it would help us help you if you were to post a copy of the actual spreadsheet--much more helpful than an image--along with that clearer description of the desired input and output, as well as the expected intervening steps--described in words; no need to specify the Excel formulas or functions. Post that spreadsheet itself (without any proprietary or confidential info) on OneDrive or GoogleDrive with a link here that grants access.

@mathetes 

Thank you for this reply, I definitely could have done a more thorough job explaining what I am trying to do here. As for the current spreadsheet, the version I have does not work in the way I want it to, but I have included a link to view it. My main objective here is to have a spreadsheet that I can utilize on multiple projects which allows me to fill a cell in with text as a template I.E   Box.01 to Equipment.01 +. Then from that cell, I would like the ability to have it automatically generate a column of text based on a number referenced from another cell. For example, for Equipment01, we have 18 Boxes, so I would like to be able to have it generate Box.01 to Equipment.01 all the way through Box.18 to Equipment.01.  I know how to do this easily enough through dragging autofill, but the problem is that there are 20 plus sets of equipment, each with a different quantity of boxes on them. Ideally, I would be able to enter a quantity of boxes that are associated with each piece of equipment, and have the spreadsheet generate the appropriate quantity and number range of labels for each piece of equipment from that information. This would be utilized by a number of different people, so I'm hoping to be able to keep it as simple as possible in regards to ease of use after it is set up, to the point that all the person has to do is enter the template information and box/equipment quantities, and the formula will take it from there, or possibly a script/macro button to be used. I really just need a good starting point on this, as I've never put together something quite like this and haven't been able to figure out how to even get it rolling. 

@jasmith17 

First, I have to apologize for a long silence. I've both been traveling and involved in a lot of other things.

I have to say, though, that I still find what would appear to be relatively simple, entirely confusing. I'm not sure where to begin, what those "+" and "-" extensions are for, how they fit in to the task, and so forth.

It's also the case that I specialize (that may be too strong a word) in resolving Excel challenges by formula and function rather than VBA and macros, and it may be that what you need is the latter.

That said, let me point you to some text manipulation functions which, if you've not explored them all, might be at the base of what you need to resolve this.