SOLVED

Function Help

Copper Contributor
Hi all.
I'm hoping to get some help writing a function. I need something that can look up a project number in another tab and count associated data from other columns to bring into the new tab. I attached a sample file of what my data looks like and how I want the resulting formula to be displayed.

Any ideas?
7 Replies

@AL789 

I think what you need, rather than a Function, is a different way of thinking of your data. See the attached. I've reconfigured your data into a different kind of table, and then used Excel's Pivot Table capability to summarize the data. I believe the summary gives you exactly the kind of accounting you need.

You'll notice that I used VLOOKUP to populate the final column in the new table. It might be just as useful to use a drop-down (under Data Validation) to give yourself a choice of consistent labels for that column, rather than a number and a VLOOKUP.

You may or may not want to put the NAME of your partners in, and I just put junk in there, but it serves as a field to produce the count. But the Pivot Table is an excellent and easy (once you master it) way to produce the kind of summary data you're seeking.

Thank you for your response! This works to produce the data I require, though due to the way I must integrate the final results with my other program data, I would like to use a function instead. I'm hoping this is something that can be done with a function (or multiple functions)

@AL789 

Start this formula in the Counts sheet, cell B2:

=SUM(IF(OFFSET(Data!$A$1,MATCH($A2,Data[[Project ]],0),1,1,7)=SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(B$1,"Number of ","")," Partners",""),1,0))

Ctrl+shift+enter

Please read @mathetes 's suggestion. It's great advice unless you prefer to write complex array formulas.

best response confirmed by AL789 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@AL789 

One more variant

image.png

in B2

=IFNA(COUNTIF(INDEX(Data,MATCH($A2,Data[[Project ]:[Project ]],0),),SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(B$1,"Number of ","")," Partners","")),0)

and drag it to the right and down

@AL789 

And one more variant with Power Query

image.png

Generated script

let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Data"]}[Content],
    UnpivotOtherColumns = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(
        Source,
        {"Project "},
        "Attribute", "Value"
    ),
    FilterBlanks = Table.SelectRows(
        UnpivotOtherColumns,
        each ([Value] <> "NULL" and [Value] <> "Off")
    ),
    ModifyNames = Table.ReplaceValue(
        FilterBlanks,
        each [Value],
        each "Number of " & [Value] & " Projects",
        Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"Value"}
    ),
    RemoveProjectType = Table.RemoveColumns(
        ModifyNames,
        {"Attribute"}
    ),
    AddIndex = Table.AddIndexColumn(
        RemoveProjectType,
        "Index", 1, 1
    ),
    PivotProjects = Table.Pivot(
        AddIndex,
        List.Distinct(AddIndex[Value]),
        "Value", "Index", List.Count
    )
in
    PivotProjects
I need someone to give the steps to merge a data base in excel to mailing labels in word.

@Betty58 

That's a separate question, please start new conversation here https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/excel/bd-p/ExcelGeneral

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by AL789 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@AL789 

One more variant

image.png

in B2

=IFNA(COUNTIF(INDEX(Data,MATCH($A2,Data[[Project ]:[Project ]],0),),SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(B$1,"Number of ","")," Partners","")),0)

and drag it to the right and down

View solution in original post