Formulas to help differentiate similar names

Copper Contributor

I am separating last name, first name to last name, first initial.  I have come to an issue I need assistance with.  If you have multiple (duplicated) results - is there a formula/series of formulas that can help differentiate further?  

Example:

Smith, Jane         =  Smith, J.

Smith, Joe           =  Smith, J.

Are there formulas to tell Excel to look for matching outcomes and then to break out the names further?

Example:

Smith, Jane         =  Smith, Ja.

Smith, Joe           =  Smith, Jo.

2 Replies

Maybe by using the first two letters

=CONCATENATE(LEFT(D3,2)," , ",C3)

If this is not what you are looking for, please provide a more detailed description.

The more precise the description, the faster & better solution you can get.

If I may recommend, here is some information about it.

Welcome to your Excel discussion space!

Hope I was able to help you with this information.

NikolinoDE

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

@Admin_Dan

Thanks. I thought about that. I have a list of several hundred names. I do use CONCATENATE to separate the first letter of the first name already.  I didn't want to get the first 2 letter of every name on the list.  Just doing the first letter of the first name works for about 98% of the names . It's the repeat names like "Smith, J." that do not work. I have a few others names (married couples with a first name that start with the same letter). I was wondering if I could tell Excel to perform a separate function - look over the CONCATENATE list of names I created to find any matching names (i.e. Smith, J.), and then do another CONCATENATE for the first 2 letters.  I'm thinking maybe a IF formula?

Something like (and here is where I don't know how to do it), IF(CONCATENATE name list has a match), then perform CONCATENATE for 2 letters). I know that's not how the IF formula is populated, but that is what I'm trying to figure out.