Excel template chart data percentage won't change

Copper Contributor

Hi there, this is my first post and I'm a complete amateur at Excel so bear with me please!

Below are screenshots are my worksheet I used based on the template they had for personal budget. I used this for two months and the percentage just froze and stopped working,

Screenshot 2023-11-13 at 18.44.05.pngScreenshot 2023-11-13 at 18.44.25.png

I clicked on unhidden data to reveal the chart data and opened up a new template and I see no difference in what could have went wrong. The percentage should have changed number based on =MIN(TotalMonthlyExpenses/TotalMonthlyIncome,1) but it didn't. The above attached two examples is of one being the rent is £1000 a month and the other £4000 a month and all numbers changed except the percentage. This is driving me mad, how do I change this? Screenshot of plain template of what was originally given to me here: (Only difference is new columns and rows)

Screenshot 2023-11-13 at 18.36.06.png

I hope anyone can help. Many thanks in advance,

Rosie

12 Replies

@RosieBenn 

Templates are not without problems. And sometimes difficult to diagnose. Almost impossible without seeing the actual spreadsheet (not just an image).

Is it possible for you, therefore, to post either your actual OR, if you don't want to share your personal finances, a copy of the original template as you get it from the source...put it on OneDrive or GoogleDrive and paste a link here that grants access.  Or paste a link here to the original template--there are many personal budget templates, so it would take some time for one of us to go figure out which one it is.

Just for the record, though, I've not used many templates myself--preferring to design my own--but have seen quite a few from other people posting questions here on this forum. And I have yet to see one that doesn't have quirks, odd problems, sometimes from hidden elements that are difficult to locate. They're not for the faint-hearted!  My recommendation is to use templates like this as a jumping off point to create your own....

@Thabit1991 

Well, let me just repeat the last paragraph from my response to @RosieBenn 

Just for the record, though, I've not used many templates myself--preferring to design my own--but have seen quite a few from other people posting questions here on this forum. And I have yet to see one that doesn't have quirks, odd problems, sometimes from hidden elements that are difficult to locate. They're not for the faint-hearted!  My recommendation is to use templates like this as a jumping off point to create your own....

To go a step further, if you really want help, you need to provide more information. A cry for "Help!" doesn't give anybody anything to work with. So go back and read the rest of what I wrote--tell us what template (with a link, ideally) you're finding hard to work with, etc., etc., etc.

Where is the template from, if I may ask? Is it a Microsoft template, or from some other source? If it's from Microsoft, I can see if there's somebody from the organization who can address it at its source.
My own assessment of it, frankly, is that it's not a very thoughtful or useful design in the first place.

@mathetes 

Yes it come from Microsoft office app template

@mathetes 

Yes it come from Microsoft 365 app

@mathetes Hi John, 

This exact same template came-up not too long ago. A person wanting to copy the budget sheets to be used in the next two months as well. And the problem was that the percentage chart wouldn't change with it.

I share your assessment that this is a bad template, but with some tweaks I could get to a working version for the other OP.

@RosieBenn , @Thabit1991 

If it needs to be extended to cover more months, just repeat the steps I explained in the thread in the link below. It also contains a file with a working example for three months.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/excel/copying-an-excel-sheet/m-p/4015388#M215174 

Thanks man. It works. Fantastic work. I appreciate your work. But i can see your template have only 3 months. Could you upload for me at leats with 12 months? Please

@Thabit1991 Great, but I think you can do the copying and pasting yourself. It's not all that difficult, but quite some manual work. And that's because it's a bad template to begin with.

I tried to copy and paste but there is no changes in graphs

@Thabit1991 You need to manually add and change the chart data for each month. Just as I explained in the other post. Not difficult, just quite a lot of work.