EXCEL question

Copper Contributor

Have had excel for many years and all of a sudden the row of commands like line, edit, text, etal., disappeared.  I tried many things to recover including restart, restart excel, and others.  could not find activation code so could not reinstall.  So, I purchased new copy of msft 365,  Didn't help.  Any ideas, I think something has said hide this row of commands, but I have no idea what.

1 Reply

@Philip_v_Tilly 

It sounds like the Ribbon, which contains the commands like Home, Insert, Page Layout, etc., may be minimized or hidden in your Excel application. Here's how you can try to restore it:

1. Try pressing Ctrl + F1: This keyboard shortcut toggles the visibility of the Ribbon. Pressing it once may bring back the missing commands.

2. Check Ribbon Display Options:

• Right-click any tab name on the Ribbon.
    • Ensure that "Collapse the Ribbon" is not checked. If it is checked, uncheck it.

3. Reset Ribbon Customization:

• Right-click any tab name on the Ribbon.
    • Select "Customize the Ribbon..."
    • In the Excel Options dialog box, click "Reset" at the bottom right, then choose "Reset all customizations".
    • Click OK.

4. Check for Full Screen Mode: Sometimes, if Excel is in full screen mode, the Ribbon may not be visible. Press F11 to toggle full screen mode and see if the Ribbon reappears.

5. Update or Repair Office: Ensure that your Office installation is up to date. You can do this by going to File > Account > Update Options > Update Now. If the issue persists, you can try repairing your Office installation through the Control Panel or Settings app.

If none of these steps work, there may be an issue with your Excel settings or installation. Provide more Information’s. Inform about your Excel version, operating system, storage medium/hard drive, OneDrive, Sharepoint, etc.). If possible, add a file (without sensitive data) and use this file to describe your project step by step, or add photos with the appropriate description. The text was created with the help of AI.

My answers are voluntary and without guarantee!

Hope this will help you.

Was the answer useful? Mark as best response and like it!

This will help all forum participants.