Excel not working properly since updating to Windows 11

Copper Contributor

Hi,

Since I have updated my PC to windows 11 Excel has not been working properly. Every 5 min the sheets seem to be unresponsive when I click on a tab or anywhere on the excel page. To make it work again I have to constantly reduce the window and reopen it. This is very frustrating as it happens very often. I have tried to start excel in safe mode or disable add-ins but the bug continues.

Thank you 

103 Replies
I confirm that your remedy of moving the horizontal slide bar works for me also. I'm also noticing more crashes (Excel just closes unexpectedly...) especially when adding a Note to a cell (typing the Note itself acts strange also). Are you noticing this also?

I have another issue with Excel,  Since my Win 11 upgrade, I've noticed problems in formatting spreadsheets.

1st: When printing, scaling does not work properly. The page will not scale to custom margins. I have a spreadsheet set up for 1/4" margins and have the worksheet to print all columns on one sheet, with no limit on pages to print all rows. When I print preview, and print, excel scales to 45% in the Print Preview window and prints that way. I have confirmed all scaling and printing options. I printed the sheet on Friday last week and it printed correctly. Saturday, I upgraded to Win 11. Sunday, I updated selected cells, and then when I did the Print Preview, I noticed the scaling problem, In looking at my issue, I believe it's a Win 11 formatting problem. 

I'm an accountant and use Excel often. Since my computer tech updated my Microsoft Excel on May 25, it does not work as before. i.e., It takes 49 seconds for the computer to find my printer, instant before then. Math calculation setup is not correct. I cannot see what the total was in a cell. All kind of wasted time. I've been using Excel since it came out.

I too have experienced problems with Excel since installing Windows 11, which I just did a couple days ago.  It does not accurately save my worksheets, but brings up previous versions when I go to print. I have tried troubleshooting on my own, including copying the document to a new spreadsheet. But even in that case it copies  a prior version of the document. I am not new to Excel. So the problem must be rooted in Windows 11. Any help would be appreciated. 

I have same issue - each time enter Excel the sheet is stalled until you go back to a previous Excel and then try again - this is really irritating and now time consuming 

I also found that my headspeakers no longer work when plugged into laptop 

Would be great if MS could tell us how to overcome these issues 

What I found working to solve the Excel freeze issue.  As soon as that happen, I just use the scroll bar at the bottom of sheet and just give it a quick move. @PTLow 

Thank you - I will try !

@Chris Botha 

Yes, and minimizing and restoring Excel window, clicking on other opened Excel windows, if any, and click on the first sheet with the freezing issue, etc. Examples are listed in earlier posts. These are workarounds but it is incredibly annoying and renders Excel unusable when this happens constantly.  there must be a permanent solution. I found one in my two PCs that were upgraded from W10. DOWNGRADE to Windows 10 and the problem is no more. The current and the newest PC I have came with Windows 11 and I can not downgrade this one. I wish I could.

It is very annoying. And also since I have installed WIndows 11 I have to reboot my laptop every time it starts up as it does not detect the WiFi (I can't even open network settings)

@Chris Botha  Fortunately have not had that problem - however my headphones no longer work no matter what I try. 

@Chris Botha - Yes, I now do the same - move the horizontal scroll bar and it unfreezes.  I'm happy to see the other replies that after downgrading to W10 the problem disappears as this shows it's truly a result of W11.  

Interestingly, I was having problems with renaming tabs in Excel, but found the problem has largely disappeared.  I hope this means that Microsoft is seeing some of these issues and fixing them.  I've also noticed the sudden crashes have gone. The freezing problem is likely difficult as it's random and hard to replicate.  

Hello 

I faced the exact issue without knowing the exact cause till half an hour ago only.

This issue started to happen since one month exactly and I did everything you can imagine by uninstalling the office itself 5 or 6 times and clearing the cache and installing a different versions of Microsoft office till I noticed that from a month I installed Foxit pdf editor and it was appearing beside the help tab inside the excel as usual same the Acrobat.

I digged deeply till I found the final solution

Here are the steps:

1- Go to File/Options/Add-ins

2- Manage in the bottom

3- Choose COM Add-ins

4- Uncheck any box including the pdf program you are using

5- It should be solved by now

Try and give me your feedback

Thanks@Santero10 

@Hossam_El_Mahdy 

Thank you for your reply and help. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the problem on my end as I don't have any plug-in to deactivate.

I am sorry to hear that, I replied because I faced exactly the same problem with all its details and when I found the solution, I wrote immediately.

I hope you can find the answer :)

Best of Luck  @Santero10 

@Santero10 

I have the exact same problem since my laptop was automatically updated to Windows 11. My income revolves around Excel, as I am in Finance. When Excel becomes unresponsive the application starts to flicker. I tried everything that has been suggested on various platforms and nothing works. It cannot be applications on the computer, as the applications were installed long before Windows 11 launched.

Another problem I face is Windows Explorer. I need to restart it through Task Manager every time I click on an item in a folder as it freezes and then crashes.

It is extremely frustrating and Microsoft cannot take responsibility, blaming it on everything besides their software.

Having the exact same issues, tired every option commented on with fresh installs, removing add-ins, everything....    no change.

Seems to happen more with older more complicated workbooks with lots of references....  seems to be a cache issue possibly as well, as when i clear the cache it goes away for a short time, then returns within 48 hours of work....

Hopefully microsoft takes less than 2 years to solve this issue ;)

I was facing the exact same issue. It really drove me mad!
I found a work around: the file I was working with was stored on Google Drive. As soon as I moved the file to my local hard drive the problem was gone.
For some reason this creates an issue... I never tried to save the file on One Drive.
My guess is, that if the same problem occurs there as well, then it has something to do with storing files in the cloud. If it works like a charm with One Drive, then it just might be an issue with Google Drive.
Let me know if it worked for you...

Unfortnately this happens to files stored locally, so definitely not a cloud based issue. Oil4U, if you are not a Microsoft employee, you should be one, as you pawn that off on other software very well, just like a pro!

@davidlaughter 

Hi David,

Thank you for your reply. How did you clear cache exactly? Once every 48 hours is much better than having a bug every 5 minutes.

Kind regards,

Alessandro

Simple google search.... you must be a microsoft employee ;)

https://www.automateexcel.com/how-to/clear-cache/