excel formula problem

Copper Contributor

I need to create a formula that changes a letter price code into the corresponding price.  The price code is CONSUMERAD=1234567890, c=1, o=2, n=3 and so on.  I need the formula to have a $#,###.## format so cucudd = $1,515.00

Anyone care to help me out?  

3 Replies

@hlt1322 

According to your description, U=5 and D=0, but your example uses U=0 and D=5. What gives?

Here is the answer for you. You may change the cell reference instead of "cucudd" in the formula. The result will be text format.
=TEXT(VALUE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(UPPER("cucudd"),"C",1),"O",2),"N",3),"S",4),"U",5),"M",6),"E",7),"R",8),"A",9),"D",0))/100,"$#,##0.00")
I'd like to suggest you that you'd better use the formula below without Text function above and apply your custom format or accounting format ($#,##0.00) to the cells you want.
=VALUE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(UPPER("cucudd"),"C",1),"O",2),"N",3),"S",4),"U",5),"M",6),"E",7),"R",8),"A",9),"D",0))/100

@hlt1322 

If return as text like

image.png

it could be

=TEXT(
  TEXTJOIN(,1,
      MOD(
         XMATCH( MID(B3, SEQUENCE(LEN(B3)), 1),
                         MID(B2, SEQUENCE(LEN(B2)), 1) ),
      10 )
   )/100,
  "[$$-en-US]#,##0.00" )

If as number - above without TEXT() and apply proper format.