SOLVED

Excel data

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I am not extremely advanced when it comes to using excel. 

I have a table that lists all of our land owners and their corresponding field names. 

I made another sheet with a data validation for the land owners and what I am hoping I can accomplish is when I select a land owner from the drop down then below that it will populate all the different fields associated with that specific land owner and the acres. I can't seem to find a formula that does this. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks 

6 Replies
best response confirmed by farmlife (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@farmlife

Let's say your table is named Table1, with columns named Land Owner, Field Name and Acres (among others)

On the other sheet, the data validation drop-down is in B1.

In a cell below it, enter the formula

=FILTER(Table1[[Field Name]:[Acres]], Table1[Land Owner]=B1)

@Hans Vogelaar 

Thank you so much! One more question- is there a way to make the data that pulls in live data? So, I am hoping that I can make another table on this sheet that could total up the boundary acres and the total dollar paid to the land owner based on the fields that populate when I select from the drop down. Does that make sense? 

@farmlife 

Could you provide an example of what the data look like and what the desired output looks like.

@Hans Vogelaar 

So I would like for it to add up the total acres for this land owner and the total dollar amount. 

farmlife_0-1715786080859.png

I was hoping maybe I could total it from the data that came from the filter formula. When I did a Vlookup formula from the other table it only came back with one of the fields populated if that makes sense.

@farmlife 

It's hard to tell what is what from your screenshot.

Could you attach a small sample workbook demonstrating the problem (without sensitive data), or if that is not possible, make it available through OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox or similar?

@farmlife 

please share your data in text similar to below table which can be pasted to Excel.

DateCompany NameContract
13-05-2024Google4009390
13-05-2024Google4009390
13-05-2024Google4009390
13-05-2024XYZ4009391
13-05-2024XYZ4009391
13-05-2024XYZ4009391
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by farmlife (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@farmlife

Let's say your table is named Table1, with columns named Land Owner, Field Name and Acres (among others)

On the other sheet, the data validation drop-down is in B1.

In a cell below it, enter the formula

=FILTER(Table1[[Field Name]:[Acres]], Table1[Land Owner]=B1)

View solution in original post