Excel Copy & Paste / Clipboard

Copper Contributor

When I copy one or multiple cells from excel, and then go over to another program on my computer and use the "copy" function again, and then go BACK to excel, and paste in a different cell - the original copy from excel is the one that pastes. It's almost like the second copy function from another program on my computer does not slate clean the clipboard - and almost like the excel has its own clipboard that separates itself from the rest of the computer. If i copy a cell in excel, and then copy other stuff from a different program (non microsoft, microsoft, anything really) I want the original excel copy to CLEAR. This is something new and randomly starting occurring over the past year or so to me and all my colleagues. This problem is most prevalent with Bloomberg for me fyi. Thanks for any help!

1 Reply

@thebearjewy 

This issue might be related to the clipboard management on your computer or specific behavior within Excel. Here are a few troubleshooting steps you can try:

1. Clear Excel Clipboard:

• Open Excel.
  • Go to the "Home" tab.
  • Look for the "Clipboard" group.
  • Click the small arrow in the lower-right corner of the "Clipboard" group to open the Clipboard pane.
  • In the Clipboard pane, you'll see a list of items. Click on the small arrow next to each item and select "Delete" to clear the Excel clipboard.

2. Clear System Clipboard (Windows):

If you are using Windows, you can try clearing the system clipboard:

1. Press Windows key + V to open the Clipboard history.
  2. Clear all items from the clipboard history.

3. Check Excel Options:

1. Open Excel.
  2. Go to "File" > "Options."
  3. In the Excel Options dialog, go to the "Advanced" tab.
  4. Scroll down to the "Cut, copy, and paste" section.
  5. Ensure that "Show Paste Options buttons" is unchecked.
  6. Click "OK" to apply the changes.

4. Close and Reopen Excel:

Sometimes, Excel might retain clipboard information even if you close a specific workbook. Close Excel entirely and reopen it to see if the issue persists.

5. Update or Repair Office:

Ensure that your Microsoft Office installation is up to date. You can also try repairing the Office installation:

1. Open the "Control Panel."
  2. Go to "Programs" > "Programs and Features."
  3. Find Microsoft Office in the list, right-click, and choose "Change."
  4. Select "Repair" and follow the on-screen instructions.

6. Check Clipboard Manager:

If you are using a third-party clipboard manager, it might interfere with clipboard operations. Disable or configure the clipboard manager settings.

7. Bloomberg Terminal:

If the issue is prevalent with Bloomberg, check if Bloomberg has any specific settings related to clipboard behavior.

8. Restart Computer:

A simple restart of your computer might also resolve temporary issues related to clipboard management.

The text and steps were edited with the help of AI.

Try these steps and see if the problem persists. If the problems persist after trying these steps, please provide more details about the specific issues you are facing, hier a link about the details Welcome to your Excel discussion space!

My answers are voluntary and without guarantee!

Hope this will help you.

Was the answer useful? Mark as best response and Like it!

This will help all forum participants.