SOLVED

Excel convert numbers to text with a formula

Copper Contributor

Hello I am new to this forum, I need to make a list in which I can write for example 1=Olives 2=Bread, I want just to write the number and Excel will type an item instead, is that possible ? thanks 

5 Replies
best response confirmed by Hans Vogelaar (MVP)
Solution

@Stella1750 

=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(B4,$H$4:$I$27,2,FALSE),"")

Maybe like in this example. You can enter a number (which occurs in column H) in column B and the formula returns the corresponding text in column C.

number to text.JPG 

Hi @OliverScheurich, thant is exactly what I need so what should the formula says? for example can you make me an example of number 1 corresponding text olives

@Stella1750 

You can replace "item1" (cell I4 in the example) by "olives". If you then enter 1 in column B the formula returns "olives" in column C. All texts in column I can be changed as required.

Yeahhh @OliverScheurich thank you very much it worked perfectly great solution, thanks a lot
enter number return number
1 olives
2 green and black olives

@Stella1750 

INDEX used by itself would suffice. 

= INDEX(produce, option)

With 365, one could always dress the formula up to read

WorksheetFormula
= productλ(option);

productλ
= LAMBDA(k,
    IF(k>0,
       INDEX(produce,k),
    "")
  );

Whichever route you take, be very careful not to modify the lookup table, since that would invalidate all your existing records.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Hans Vogelaar (MVP)
Solution

@Stella1750 

=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(B4,$H$4:$I$27,2,FALSE),"")

Maybe like in this example. You can enter a number (which occurs in column H) in column B and the formula returns the corresponding text in column C.

number to text.JPG 

View solution in original post