Excel: autofill data from one column into another

Copper Contributor

I have a financial spreadsheet in which I have several categories. I'm wondering if there's a way to have the data I enter in one column auto populate into another one. For example, we break our information up into membership, concessions, flowers, and other. This is in one column. Additionally, we have these then listed under a deposit section if the numbers are positive, and a withdrawal section if the numbers are negative. Right now, I enter the number into the main section, then I have to copy and paste it into the corresponding section for each. Is there a way I can tie a conditional formatting or a formula so that it can auto populate in to the correct corresponding column?

I hope that makes sense.

Sarah

5 Replies

@Sarah_Leatherman 

Is there a way I can tie a conditional formatting or a formula so that it can auto populate in to the correct corresponding column?

I hope that makes sense.

It makes sense. And yes, I'm quite confident there's a way; probably several ways.

But it would be a LOT easier to show you that if you were to post a copy of the actual spreadsheet on OneDrive or GoogleDrive, with a link pasted here that grants access to it. Otherwise, you're in effect asking us to visualize (by guessing) what you're working with--which is an error-prone process to begin with--and then write possible formulas to accomplish the task. Those formulas, even if they work in our own re-creation, might not at all reflect the reality you're working with.

So please, post a copy of the actual workbook.

Good afternoon!
Here is a link to a very small portion of the spreadsheet:
Ideally, I'd like to link the text in column B (membership, concession, etc.) and it's corresponding amount that is in column D to then pull into the appropriate column (F-R):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-Xhbz7BL_dDsWJRADzZJlQpVEbLNkR_ROt_V46taC-0/edit#gid=1510105...

@Sarah_Leatherman 

Here's an example of what can be done. The basic idea would be using the IF function to populate those other columns (F through P) based on what has been entered. I've added a data validation tool to the "Payee" column, based on a table on the second sheet. That ensures consistency in the spelling of the entries--and also enables people just to select from a DropDown menu.

You say this is a "very small portion" of the full spreadsheet, so I've stopped with this.....My sense is that you might need some more solid design thinking, but without knowing the big picture that's about all I can say.

I'm attaching, in addition to a slightly revised version of what you posted, a sample of a budget spreadsheet that uses a different method to differentiate income from expense. You might want to consider that; when that's done, the Pivot Table works well to summarize data.

This is so helpful! Thank you! It's exactly what I'm wanting to do. It's a little beyond my capabilities. :)
When I type the same formula you have into my spreadsheet (I used the membership formula in column F), it says my formula is invalid. Is there something I'm missing?
Sarah