Excel and power builder

Copper Contributor

I am trying to refresh the contents of the excel web version automatically without opening the excel file

I am using the TODAY() function in an excel worksheet which is accessed using PowerBuilder. Now I have to open the excel file just to update the TODAY() function, and this method is a bottleneck in my workflow.I want the contents to reflect on the power builder without opening the excel file.I cannot use VBA macros as excel web doesn't support that

2 Replies

@Preeta1710 

If you're using Excel for the web and Power BI, and you need to update the contents of the Excel file without manually opening it, you'll need to explore alternative methods since Excel for the web doesn't support VBA macros.

Let's review the compatibility of each potential approach with Excel for the web and Power BI:Formularbeginn

1. Power Query Refresh:
    • Compatibility: Power Query is fully compatible with both Excel for the web and Power BI.
    • Usage: You can create queries in Excel for the web using Power Query to connect to various data sources and transform the data. Similarly, Power BI Desktop also uses Power Query for data transformation. Once you've created these queries, you can schedule data refreshes in Power BI Service, which will update the data in both Excel for the web and Power BI reports.
  2. Power Automate:
    • Compatibility: Power Automate (formerly Microsoft Flow) is compatible with both Excel for the web and Power BI.
    • Usage: You can create automated workflows in Power Automate to trigger actions based on specific events or conditions. For example, you can create a flow to refresh the data in your Excel file periodically or when certain criteria are met. These flows can interact with Excel for the web and Power BI using their respective connectors.
  3. Custom Web Application:
    • Compatibility: While Excel for the web and Power BI themselves do not provide direct support for custom web applications, you can use Microsoft Graph API or other APIs to interact with them programmatically.
    • Usage: You can build a custom web application that interacts with Excel for the web and Power BI through APIs to automate tasks such as refreshing data or updating formulas. This approach requires development expertise and integration with external systems or platforms.
  4. Manual Refresh:
    • Compatibility: Manually refreshing the data is compatible with both Excel for the web and Power BI, but it relies on human intervention.
    • Usage: You can manually refresh the data in Excel for the web by opening the file and clicking the "Refresh" button. Similarly, you can manually refresh data in Power BI reports by clicking the "Refresh" button in Power BI Desktop or scheduling manual refreshes in Power BI Service.

In summary, all of the potential approaches listed are compatible with Excel for the web and Power BI to varying degrees. The choice of approach depends on factors such as your technical expertise, automation requirements, and integration capabilities with external systems or platforms. The text was created with the help of AI.

My answers are voluntary and without guarantee!

Hope this will help you.

Was the answer useful? Mark as best response and like it!

This will help all forum participants.

Not yet.