Auto refresh excel sheet without opening excel files

Copper Contributor

I am trying to refresh the contents on the excel web version automatically without opening the excel file
I am using the TODAY() function in an excel worksheet which is accessed using PowerBuilder. Now I have to open the excel file just to update the TODAY() function, and this method is a bottleneck in my workflow.I want the contents to reflect on the power builder without opening the excel file.I cannot use VBA macros as excel web doesn't support that

2 Replies

@Preeta1710 

If you're working with Excel for the web and you cannot use VBA macros, there are still a few options you can explore to automatically refresh the data without manually opening the Excel file:

1. Using Power Automate (formerly Microsoft Flow): You can create a flow in Power Automate that triggers periodically (e.g., every day) to update the Excel file. There's a "Get file content" action that allows you to retrieve the contents of the Excel file, update it using the TODAY() function or any other necessary calculations, and then save the changes back to the file. This way, you don't need to manually open the file.
  2. Using Excel Online REST API: You can use Excel Online REST API to programmatically update the Excel file without opening it. You can write a script or application that sends a request to the API to update the values of cells containing the TODAY() function. This approach requires some programming skills, but it gives you more flexibility and control over the process.
  3. Power Query Refresh: If your Excel file is connected to external data sources (e.g., databases, web services), you can use Power Query to refresh the data automatically. Power Query can pull data into Excel and refresh it on a schedule without requiring the file to be opened. However, this method won't work if you're only using the TODAY() function without external data.
  4. Using SharePoint: If your Excel file is stored on SharePoint, you might be able to use SharePoint workflows or automation features to trigger updates automatically.
  5. Custom Web Application: If none of the above options work for you, you could consider developing a custom web application that interacts with the Excel file and updates it based on your requirements. This would require more development effort but can provide a tailored solution to your specific needs.

Choose the option that best fits your technical expertise and requirements.

The text and steps were edited with the help of AI.

My answers are voluntary and without guarantee!

Hope this will help you.

Was the answer useful? Mark as best response and Like it!

This will help all forum participants.

@NikolinoDE - Thank you so much, Will try them out and keep you posted.