Excel... accessing cels

Copper Contributor

Was working my Excel spreadsheet with several tabs.  Using coversheet (tab) for compiling data from subsequent tabs.  All working fine until suddenly I couldn't simply click on any cell.  HOWEVER, if I double-click a cell, I CAN enter data in that cell.  But, what the heck happened?  All other tabs still working normally.  I'm guessing I must have hit some key or combination of keys that put a filter (or ???) on that page. 

1 Reply

@CKRockett 

It sounds like the issue you are facing might be related to the worksheet protection or a specific Excel feature being enabled. Here are a few things you can check to troubleshoot the problem:

1. Worksheet Protection:

1. Go to the sheet where you are experiencing the issue.
  2. Right-click on the sheet tab at the bottom.
  3. Check if "Protect Sheet" or "Protect Workbook" is enabled.
  4. If protection is enabled, you might need to enter a password to unlock the sheet.

2. Cell Locking:

1. Select the cells where you are experiencing the issue.
  2. Right-click and choose "Format Cells."
  3. Go to the "Protection" tab.
  4. Ensure that the "Locked" option is unchecked.

3. Filter Mode:

• Check if the filter mode is enabled. You can see this in the status bar at the bottom right.
  • If it's enabled, you can click on it to toggle it off.

4. Cell Comments:

• Check if there are any cell comments or notes on the cells.
  • Right-click on the cell, and if "Edit Comment" is an option, click it to see if there is any information there.

5. Formula Bar:

1. Ensure that the Formula Bar is visible (you can find it in the View tab).
  2. Click on a cell, and see if you can edit the contents in the Formula Bar.

6. Check for Macros:

If your workbook contains macros, it's possible that a macro is affecting the behavior. Check the "Developer" tab for any macros.

7. Excel in Edit Mode:

1. Look at the bottom-left corner of Excel.
  2. Ensure that it does not say "Excel in Edit mode." If it does, click on it to exit Edit mode.

8. Excel Options:

1. Go to "File" -> "Options."
  2. Check under the "Advanced" tab for any options that might be affecting cell selection.

9. Restart Excel:

Sometimes, issues are resolved simply by restarting Excel.

If none of these suggestions resolves the issue, it could be a more complex problem, and you may want to consider reaching your IT department for further assistance. The text and steps were edited with the help of AI.

My answers are voluntary and without guarantee!

Hope this will help you.

Was the answer useful? Mark as best response and Like it!

This will help all forum participants.