Developer Scroll Bars Suddenly Became Erratic!

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I have a very unusual problem related to developer form control Scroll Bars!  I had previously enjoyed my highly reliable Scroll Bars and Spin Buttons that I had created for months (if not more than a year).  Suddenly, (a few days ago) the Scroll Bars are simply no longer reliable, while only the upper button of Spin Buttons is highlighted, even if the lower one is clicked!  This occurred without my tweaking!

By unrealiable Scroll Bars I mean you can sometimes slide the scrolls and sometimes not.  Usually, the first few work more reliably, while the later ones than freeze!  It behaves erratically like that.  It can help sliding previous bars and returning to the later ones, zooming in and out,  and manually inserting the number and then re-fixing the Scroll Bar.  Neither copy/pasting an upper working Scroll Bar, nor inserting a brand new one helps with the erratic behavior!

The same applies to the Spin Buttons.  Sometimes, you can click the lower button and the values will go low as expected.  However, once the problem settles in, you can continue clicking the lower button, but the upper one will be selected and applied.  The same temporary fixes as with the Scroll Bar (and copy/paste and recreation non-solutions) apply!

I have the Excel file ready and wish to upload it here for you to see if you can produce the problem on your end!  This has never happened to me before!

25 Replies

What I have discovered is that the issue seems to be related to my secondmonitor. The display resolution is different between my laptop monitor and my second monitor. So, if I drag an excel document from the laptop screen to the second monitor where the resolution is lower it seems to cause the issue. Some documents that I issues with now, I can move to the laptop, save it, close it and re-open it, the issue goes away. Try this and let me know if it works for you. 

@Selene_V 

I am running into that same issue when moving it from the laptop to monitor. Closing and opening does fix the issue. Also it seems being at 85% zoom I have had less issues with the buttons but it still happens.
The Zoom in/out does fix it when moving the sheet around. But I plan to just leave it on the side of my screen since I use it for counting emails and time tracking.

Still wish it could just be fixed overall.

@DDDCi 

Hi, I have the same problem only if using my laptop touchpad (I don't if using the mouse). I've been playing around with ALL touchpad settings (sensitivity and so on), no luck. Besides, if I depress firmly the touchpad (as if it were a mouse single click) then it works ok, but if I just tap the touchpad then it does not (!?).

I cannot see the arrows at the sides of the scroll bar either (https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/excel/scroll-bar-not-showing-arrows/m-p/3582969).

I've done the test on other laptops having less resolution and the problem does not show up.

Were you able to solve your problem?

Ramon.

@Ramon_Gonsales 

Sorry for the slow reply. What I have discovered with this issue is that is seems to be more related to the resolution of my second monitor, or the amount of magnification of my document in the window. When the scroll buttons stop working, I can zoom in on the button, and click in the farthest bottom corner of where the up or down arrow would be, and it will start working again. Then I can zoom back out to view the entire document, and it continues to work. The problem also happens when I use my second monitor to view the Excel document. I believe that is because the maximum resolution of my second monitor is lower than that of my laptop. Now, I always move files back to the main monitor before saving them, and it seems to work. If I can't get the scroll bars to work by zooming in on them, I save the document if needed, close it, and re-open it, and the problem goes away until the next time. It's clearly a program error, because I had been using the scroll bars for months without any issue, until the time that I posted asking for help with the issue. Microsoft support was no help with the issue, even when they logged into my computer and saw the issue for themselves.

I hope this helps, and feel free to reach out again if anything I have said requires clarification.

Brian

Hi@Shiv_Raman

I suspect the problem shows up ONLY on a high-resolution laptop running Windows 11 when you use the touchpad (not the mouse).

1. Can you post your laptop resolution?

2. Were you able to solve the problem?

Ramon.

@Ramon_Gonsales

I'm not sure if this post was directed at me, but I am running Windows 11 on my laptop. It's resolution is 2560 x 1600. But I use a cordless mouse, not the touchpad, and I still randomly get the problem. My laptop is 15", and sometimes I have to zoom my Excel workbook to 140% to get the buttons to start working again, and even then there is a very small corner that will activate them.