Developer Scroll Bars Suddenly Became Erratic!

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I have a very unusual problem related to developer form control Scroll Bars!  I had previously enjoyed my highly reliable Scroll Bars and Spin Buttons that I had created for months (if not more than a year).  Suddenly, (a few days ago) the Scroll Bars are simply no longer reliable, while only the upper button of Spin Buttons is highlighted, even if the lower one is clicked!  This occurred without my tweaking!

By unrealiable Scroll Bars I mean you can sometimes slide the scrolls and sometimes not.  Usually, the first few work more reliably, while the later ones than freeze!  It behaves erratically like that.  It can help sliding previous bars and returning to the later ones, zooming in and out,  and manually inserting the number and then re-fixing the Scroll Bar.  Neither copy/pasting an upper working Scroll Bar, nor inserting a brand new one helps with the erratic behavior!

The same applies to the Spin Buttons.  Sometimes, you can click the lower button and the values will go low as expected.  However, once the problem settles in, you can continue clicking the lower button, but the upper one will be selected and applied.  The same temporary fixes as with the Scroll Bar (and copy/paste and recreation non-solutions) apply!

I have the Excel file ready and wish to upload it here for you to see if you can produce the problem on your end!  This has never happened to me before!

25 Replies

So, how can I upload the EXCEL file here for you to see?

@DDDCi Share it via  Onedrive or something similar.

Hello Riny,

First time I am sending a file with OneDrive, so hope this works:

https://1drv.ms/x/s!AiSSpo9JCdcLgVK2r6ZwhKzh34DX?e=cSvUn2

Try to slide all the bars and click all the Spin Buttons, and you should have the same problem on your end as well!

@DDDCi I see a lot of sliders and spinners and the seem to work, but I have no clue what I'm looking at or what you want to do. Sorry!

@Riny_van_Eekelen 

Good thing they made it across!

These sliders and spin buttons are a part of another Excel file where they matter.  I have removed all the other information because they are sensitive.  I am hopping that if we can find a solution to fix this part of that Excel file, that I can then fix that other original file.

Basically, I just want all the sliders and spin buttons to work on the attached file.  Have you tried them all until the last one in the end?  Do all of them work on your end?

I have separated them in color so as to differentiate which works and which does not.  Usually, as I click all the buttons and sliders, as I go down by the green slider, it does not work!  It will require some strange tweaking (zoom in/out) before it would work!

@DDDCi I can push and slide the buttons and numbers change. What is the erratic behavour I'm supposed to notice?

On all of them?

@DDDCi Please understand that I'm not going to click on each and every button until I know what I'm supposed to be looking for. 

Yes, of course. Sorry, I am new at this!

What should appear also at your end is sliding bar and spin button erratic behavior. Normally, you would expect numbers assigned to each sliding bar and spin button that are positioned to the left (all three sets) to change on command. On the attached Excel file, this does not occur, hence "erratic behavior."

So, if you were to test whether the numbers change as demanded (i.e., move slider to left or right and the numbers change as arranged, or click the lower spin button and the numbers should go to the extremes) on all the sliders and spin buttons, then I expect that you would see that not only do not all of them work, but they do not work all the time neither! So, sometimes the first few sliders will work, and the bottom ones would not. Then, the bottom ones would not work, the upper ones will! Or, no matter if you click the lower spin button, the upper one will be activated, and so on!

Temporarily "fixing" this is is done by zooming in or out, of all other "solutions!" What on earth does zooming has to do with this problem?

Alternatively, perhaps you can slide all the sliders and all spin buttons (upper and lower) work at your end reliably? In such a case, the problem would then be local, which is even more challenging!

@DDDCi Looked at all of them, pressed all of the spinners and pulled on all the slides and they do exactly what they are "told" to do in their  Format Control settings.

Nothing erratic. Sorry!

Quite strange!

Anyway, thanks Riny!
Have you been able to solve the issue?
I am facing the same problems that you are describing with the Scroll Bars in one of my workbooks.
It's quite annoying since I cannot even find any pattern on when they stop and start working again.
Any idea on how to solve this is highly appreciated!

I am having the same issue. I use scroll bars on a user interface and they work perfectly on my desktop computer but not on my mobile workstation. The left and right arrows on the bar are visible on the desktop (same file) but not on the laptop. The bars keep freezing or acting erratically on the laptop but not on the desktop. I am running Windows 10 Pro on the desktop and 11 Pro on the laptop. Both are running Office 365. My plan is to uninstall and re-install Office 365 on the laptop to see if that fixes the problem. Not sure what to do if that doesn't work.

Did you find any solution to this problem? I have similar issues. I have scroll bar form control buttons that have a range of 1-100 that I use to calculate a percentage of increase. In the last week they have started doing strange things. Sometimes they just freeze, some times they decrease when they should increase, sometimes one will stop working and the others will work one or twice more before they freeze as well.

Greetings!

So far, I have found that space (of all things) has something to do with it!  The location of the scroll bar in your screen space impacts whether it will work properly or not.  For example, some of my scroll bars above would work well if they are placed (via the usual side slider) to the upper area  of the screen (once zoomed out enough), while others in the lower area.  

One reason why the attached Excel file does not work in my computer but it worked at Riny's (when he says that he tested it), may be because I use a TV for a screen while he may be using a computer screen?  Can you confirm this, Riny?  If that is the case, then it should be an output problem.

However, this does not explain why they worked properly before, while suddenly became erratic!  I am using this same TV screen for years!  So, if that is the case, then perhaps an update may have indirectly mingled with our previous output settings and lead to this erratic behavior!

This is all I got at the moment!  Hopefully, the same problem happens to even more  Office tech advanced people, so as they could share their solutions with us!  The problem still persists!

@DDDCi 

I'm not sure if it solved my problem, but Microsoft tech support took one of my worksheets that was not functioning properly and copied everything into another work book. I never was able to get it to freeze up after that. But, when he did this he did move the workbook off of my second monitor to my laptop monitor. Still, this doesn't explain the issue, just a possible fix until the next update that mysteriously fixes a problem that no one seems to acknowledge except a select few.

Hello Shiv,

Did you tried that? What happened?

@DDDCi 

Unfortunately I have been unable to, due to travel. For now, I am remote-logging into my desktop as needed.

Soooooo I have been dealing with the same issue,
I think i found a solution... Well, it worked for the spin controls.

Ctrl + Mouse wheel scroll up 1, then scroll down one.
(This zoom in/out seems to reset the button clickable area)
All of my down buttons now work.