SOLVED

Data Tab

Copper Contributor

When I click on data tab, my options are refresh connection or refresh all connections. Can someone tell me why I don't have get external data? Thanks

9 Replies

Hi @lovingizneverez , What version and license of Excel do you have? Best take a screenshot of the backstage page you see with File > Account.

2020-08-10_9-15-47.png

not sure if this is what you are talking, but here is a screen shot@Ingeborg Hawighorst 

@lovingizneverez 

I guess you are on Excel Online which has limited functionality compare to Desktop version. 

You are correct, is there any tricks around this? Can it be possible that this feature is just disabled through my IT administrator? @Sergei Baklan 

@lovingizneverez 

Your subscription is to be expanded on one WITH Apps.  Currently it is

image.png

In the list it shall appear

The latest desktop version of Office

With that you may install Desktop Office.

@lovingizneverez 

Seeing as the screenshot is of a browser window, I am going to assume you have opened the file in "Excel Online." This is usually the default option when you click on the file in OneDrive, Teams, SharePoint, in Outlook, etc.

As @Sergei Baklan has said, this means you will have limited functionality available to you in comparison to working with the file in Excel Desktop.  To switch to Desktop, click the Open in Dekstop button at the top to the right of all the tabs where the data tab is.

This "should" open the file in your desktop version of Excel.  If you do not have a desktop versionof Excel then one needs to be installed before you can get external data into the Excel workbook. 

best response confirmed by lovingizneverez (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@daytamod 

Except  Open in Dekstop doesn't work if Excel Desktop is not installed - subscription is without Office desktop apps.

Thanks @Sergei Baklan., I did add that in my reply. 

@Sergei Baklan 

thanks for your help and everyone in the community. right, excel desk top version has to be installed.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by lovingizneverez (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@daytamod 

Except  Open in Dekstop doesn't work if Excel Desktop is not installed - subscription is without Office desktop apps.

View solution in original post