Pull data from cell in same row as a matched search term

Copper Contributor

Hey everyone!

I have some data I'm trying to track and I'd love to find a formula or mix of formulas that will do exactly what I need so let me explain better then the basics of the title

I have a worksheet currently with 4 sheets. the first 3 hold very specific data about products and what I sell them for and such. Sheet 4 has the overal same data as the first 3 but totalled up so I can look at those in one space. SHeet 4 is basically an undetailed overview of the rest of the worksheet.

So basically I'm tracking my sales in each state.

So I have a row for the name of each state and below that a row for the sale values

I'd like to search each of the rest of my sheets for the state and upon matching pull data from another cell in that row to add for the overview sheet. I need this to search all sheets in my worksheet

To give you more specifics for an example to further help clarify:

I have these sheet names: Health & Beauty (July 24 2020), IP (Aug 10 2020), Other Electronics (Aug 10 2020), The Numbers

In the first 3 sheets: Column Y currently holds what State I sold the item/shipped too. Column S is what I sold the item for. Values start in row 2. Headers are row 1.

In The Numbers sheet: Row 10 starting in column B are the names of each state in there own column. Row 11 starting in column B is where I'd like this formula to output the sum.

So the formula starts in B11 on "The Numbers" sheet, if we are searching for Alabama, the formula should search all worksheets except "The Numbers" if possible, search Y column for Alabama. Say there is a match on row 30, B11 in "The Numbers" is now equal to S30. Say Y33 matches too we would pull S33 and add it to B11s value.

I hope this makes clear what I'm looking for. I'd like to stay away from VBA if possible. I've done everything else with formulas I'd like to keep it this way. 

1 Reply

@xaura Consider using a Pivot Table. Rather than collecting sales data in three different sheets, put them all in one, but add a column for product type (H&B, IP, OE).

More about Pivot Tables here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/create-a-pivottable-to-analyze-worksheet-data-a9a84538-bf... 

Attached a simplified example of what it could look like. It gives two different views, based on the same data.