SOLVED

Ctrl+D and Ctrl+R actions have been changed

Copper Contributor

The keyboard shortcuts that I have been using for years to complete my work quickly and efficiently has been changed to completely different actions.  The shortcut Ctrl+D was a convenient use to copy down large data without moving the mouse.  Ctrl+R did the same to the right.  Now, the shortcuts have been changed to Table functions which will be useless to me.  Plus after 20 years of using these shortcuts, my brain is trained to use them and I will be doing something completely different by calling the actions now.

14 Replies
I'm having the exact same issue. Did they really just change a 20 year old extremely useful keybinding for something nobody uses??

@thx1200 

Hi, Yes, from what I see, you are correct. It appears that they have changed it.  My friend Becky found a work around that takes at least 2 more steps that can only be used on one column.  Select the range using the shift key.  Press the [F2] key and then use [Ctrl] + [Enter] to paste.

Sorry, hopefully Microsoft realizes the need to reinstate this soon.

Thanks, that's helpful. I opened a case with Microsoft.
Thanks, let me know if they give you helpful advice. I have trained many people to use [Ctrl] + D over the years. I am sure they will be confused also.
I found a lead. I updated Office and WebEx at the same time and I can confirm for me at least on all of my computers, when WebEx is running, even if no meeting is happening, just running in the background, it eats CTRL+D. I found that I can remove the CTRL+D keybinding (decline call) and it will restore Excel CTRL+D behavior. It's not enough to just uncheck the keybinding, you have to right click and select "remove" to get rid of it completely.

VERY strange case! I'm curious if that's the same for you.
Upon reading your message I shut down WebEx and did not have any response from [Ctrl] +D. I then restarted WebEx and used task manager to shut it down. I restarted Excel and was able to use the [Ctrl] + D shortcut. However, since WebEx is an integral internal messaging system with our company, this is not an option for me. If I do have volumes of work to perform, I may consider it. So, yes. it is the same result for me. Thanks for sharing.
best response confirmed by Debra1070 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Debra1070If you can live without the Decline Call shortcut, you can remove it and resolve this issue like so:

thx1200_0-1702566424481.png

I'm going to open a Cisco case about this, this must be a bug in the new version of WebEx.

Wonderful!!!! I removed the shortcut from WebEx and also removed the [Ctrl] + R shortcut from WebEx since Excel had lost that shortcut also. Once removed, Excel had the shortcuts back in full function. Thank-you for your help and sharing your successes.

@Debra1070 

Another option is to move to Excel 365 since dynamic array formulas rarely (never?) require Ctrl+R.

We are using Excel 365. Ctrl + R is a function to copy data or formulas. We are not always given the luxury of using dynamic arrays. Thank-you for your kind offer of assistance.

@Debra1070 

I realise I am fortunate to be able to model how I choose and am not constrained by corporate standards or the need to collaborate with others during development.  As a result, I haven't used a relative reference since 2019 and had largely moved to array formula from the time I came into conflict with a financial modelling standard (2015) that mandated 'do not use defined names, except ...' and 'do not use array formulas'.   I made it clear that I regarded their 'Standard' as poor programming practice, but as long as I wasn't expected to follow it we could agree to go our separate ways.

I would be interested to know what constraints you work under in order to better understand them but would not wish to prevail upon your time educating me!

OMG thank you so much this was it. I depend on Cntrl + D for what I do... Cntrl+R then +D is a staple.
Yep thanks to this... I'm removing all global shortcuts... I get a call once a month at best. No reason for that app to have such global key capture.
Nah they just think they are that important I get maybe one call a month at most. the rest of the time all communication is email or Microsoft Teams.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Debra1070 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Debra1070If you can live without the Decline Call shortcut, you can remove it and resolve this issue like so:

thx1200_0-1702566424481.png

I'm going to open a Cisco case about this, this must be a bug in the new version of WebEx.

View solution in original post