Conditional Formatting using both current and adjacent cells

Copper Contributor

I am building a maintenance spreadsheet based upon hours of operation.  There are typically three or four cells each titled for the specific name of the service, i.e. "Every 100 Hours".  The Title Cells I will call them are A2, A3, A4, etc.  .. What I want to happen is that when I click on one of the Title Cells I want the cells specific to that particular service, parts, labor, etc, to be highlighted in a color unique to that particular service, green for cell A2, yellow for A3, etc.  I am no sure which conditional formatting setup to use for this type scenario.

3 Replies

Hello,

it's a bit hard to visualize what you want to achieve. Can you mock up a small data sample and attach the file here? Then explain in context. 

If you want something to happen when you just click a cell, then conditional formatting will not do that. You will need VBA for that. Are you comfortable with that?

That is what I am attempting to do. I am unfamiliar with VBA though.

In order to give you an approach, it is instrumental to see how the workbook is laid out. Please attach a sample file and explain what you want to happen in context. Like, if H2 is selected, then H4 should turn green and H6 should turn blue. Can you provide something like that?