SOLVED

Combine 2 cells if one cell contains same text

Copper Contributor

Hi, 

I want to combine the Column "Generic Name" into one cell seperated by a comma if Column "Drug Code" has the same code

As you see from the example below

Drug Code 0401000010 has 2 Generic Name

0401000010 = Amoxicillin

0401000010 = Clavulanic Acid

i want it to be combined into one cell (Coumn "Combined") 

0401000010 = Amoxicillin, Clavulanic Acid

What formula can i use to achieve this result

Thank you

DRUG CODEGeneric NameCombined
0401000010AmoxicillinAmoxicillin,Clavulanic acid
0401000010Clavulanic acidAmoxicillin,Clavulanic acid
0401000011AmoxicillinAmoxicillin,Clavulanic acid
0401000011Clavulanic acidAmoxicillin,Clavulanic acid
0401000056CetirizineCetirizine, Cetirizine Hydrochloride
0401000056Cetirizine HydrochlorideCetirizine, Cetirizine Hydrochloride
3 Replies
best response confirmed by AnusornKh (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@AnusornKh 

Hello, please see attached document with proposed solution. It combines functions like textjoin with filters. Hope it works!

Martin

Works perfectly. If you don't mind I want to understand how the code works - could you kindly explain what the code does?

Thank you

@AnusornKh 

Sure! Let's decompose this;

First, I used =FILTER($C$4:$D$9,$C$4:$C$9=C4) which would return all the rows in the table that have the same code as the cell C4:

Martin_Angosto_0-1714981639948.png

Then I apply =CHOOSECOLS(FILTER($C$4:$D$9,$C$4:$C$9=C4),2) to select the second column of this result. The output of this is just a single column with Amoxicillin on the first row and Clavulanic acid on the second one. I do this because I know I will have to work with this in the next step.

Next step is to use =TEXTJOIN(",",,CHOOSECOLS(FILTER($C$4:$D$9,$C$4:$C$9=C4),2)) to join these two rows into a single cell, separated by a "," as you desired. Now I only have the names, but I also want the codes to be there.

I use again =CHOOSECOLS(FILTER($C$4:$D$9,$C$4:$C$9=C4),1) but note that this time I want the first column (Codes) not the second one. I then apply a UNIQUE function to this previous formulation in order to return a single row, to be coherent with the previos single row that we got from joining the text together in a single cell.

The final step is to use HSTACK to create a little array of two adjacent cells, one with the drug code and another one with the combined text.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by AnusornKh (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@AnusornKh 

Hello, please see attached document with proposed solution. It combines functions like textjoin with filters. Hope it works!

Martin

View solution in original post