Analyze in Excel - Refresh PowerBI dataset in Excel Online

Copper Contributor

Hi there,

I'm trying out the new Analyze in Excel feature with an excel file connected to a Power BI data set. The excel file is hosted on a sharepoint site. 

When opening the excel file in Excel online, I get an External Data refresh error when trying to refresh the pivot tables connecting to the Power BI dataset. 

Is the feature not live yet?

3 Replies

@greenguy2021 

This functionality is only coming Power BI connected PivotTables in Excel for the web - Microsoft Tech Community

As a comment, it's not necessary to use Analyze in Excel. In latest Excel connector to Power BI dataset is available, result is the same.

@Sergei Baklan Hi Sergei,

In the Power BI May 2021 Feature Summary, it indicates we can refresh Excel Pivot Tables/connections to Power BI datasets in Excel ONLINE in the browser. When I click "Refresh pivot tables" in excel ONLINE, I get an external connection error. The refresh works fine on Excel DESKTOP. 

Is the Excel ONLINE refreshing capability not live yet?

Refreshing connected PivotTable in Excel for the web

The workbook can be refreshed in Excel for the web with either of the following options:

DIRECTLY IN THE BROWSER

@greenguy2021 

Nope, here Power BI May 2021 Feature Summary | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsoft Power BI it is mentioned "we announced the initial availability of connected PivotTable refresh in Excel for the web".

Initial availability usually means that functionality is available for some per cent of targeted users (from 10% to 50%), with next step to all targeted users and after that functionality will gradually be deployed to all the rest.  That could take from weeks to months for full GA.