SOLVED

'Work - Edge' Desktop Shortcut Reappears after deleting and reopening Edge Browser

Copper Contributor

End user removes the spam Desktop shortcut labeled 'Work - Edge':

srabago_0-1692901859406.png

Once they reopen the Edge browser, the app shortcut reappears.

141 Replies

@srabago Hi!  Thanks for the feedback!  This is not the intended behavior and the team is currently investigating.  We can follow up once there is additional information from the team.  

-Kelly

I have employees who have 10-20 of these shortcuts on their desktop. Is there any way to disable this "feature" for the time being?
Can confirm, I am seeing this icon along with Microsoft Edge icon on the desktop.
My user has the same issues, there are 4 icons Work-Edge on her desktop. I am still looking for solutions.
Has any update ? My company had some user like that

For everyone in this thread, the team is actively working on the fix.  We will follow up once it is available or if there are any other updates to share.  Thanks! 

-Kelly

Please let me know if there is an update with this as well. Thank you

Any updates? we've had reports of customers allready having upwards of 10K shortcuts on their desktop..

We really need a rollback or a workaround for this "feature" that auto creates these shortcuts. Our support team is getting hammered by complaints regarding this issue. Edge is acting like malware; we need a fix!

There is a GPO that can be set on the machines to remove the shortcuts.

Computer Configuration --> Policies --> Admin Templates --> Microsoft Edge Update --> Applications And set the "Remove Desktop Shortcuts upon update default" I am still in the testing process to see what the best setting is to set.I am thinking "Force delete system-level Desktop Shortcuts" is the route to go.

36ab3e9b-1e99-45de-932f-5af7cfaae296.png

There is also a "Prevent Desktop Shortcut creation upon install" under the Microsoft Edge folder inside Applications as shown above.

best response confirmed by srabago (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi Everyone - The fix for this was released to Microsoft Edge Beta Version 117.0.2045.12.  If you have access to the Beta Channel, please test and let us know if the issue has been resolved.  

The fix should also be included in the next Stable release, which should be later this week if there are no delays.  Thanks!

-Kelly

@Kelly_Y This Edge issue has broken OneDrive Desktop folders and actual PCs, it has created over a hundred thousand spam shortcuts. Why are you creating issues like this?

Hi everyone!  Microsoft Edge Stable Version 116.0.1938.69 was released today.  Please update and test with the latest version.  Thanks! 

-Kelly

Set this:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\EdgeUpdate]
"CreateDesktopShortcutDefault"=dword:00000000
"RemoveDesktopShortcutDefault"=dword:00000001
That worked on AVD on my users

Already did that, biggest issue is those garbage Work-Edge desktop shortcuts generated 170K of those on every desktop folder Synced to OneDrive so desktop screens and OneDrive sync broke on hundreds of computers.

Not a solution or clean for that matter, but you can run a login script to delete "Work*.lnk" and "Profile*.lnk" files from %USERPROFILE%\<Onedrive Location>\Desktop
It is clunky but effective.

@Kelly_Y  I have updated to 116.0.1938.69 (Official build)(64-bit).  The issue is still occurring.

Despite setting some registry entries to try and prevent it, it still occurs.  Just created a script to run at startup to remove the work - edge.lnk s from the user profiles.  Hoping to try and keep them clean.  Issue is that each time they open edge it creates the new icon, doesn't purge until the next logon.  A solid fix for this will be greatly appreciated soon.   I'm doing a lot of cleanup on a lot of computers across multiple clients.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by srabago (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi Everyone - The fix for this was released to Microsoft Edge Beta Version 117.0.2045.12.  If you have access to the Beta Channel, please test and let us know if the issue has been resolved.  

The fix should also be included in the next Stable release, which should be later this week if there are no delays.  Thanks!

-Kelly

View solution in original post