Remove 'Define' Smart Action from right click context menu in EDGE Chromium

Copper Contributor

Need to remove the smart action 'Define' from Microsoft Edge right click context menu. I can be removed individually by a user in Settings but in an educational environment that is not an option. We need to control this with a policy... Registry? OMA URI? ADMX Templates?   We are able to remove the mini menu, and other options that invoke the 'search in sidebar' feature but 'Define' still allows the search in sidebar to open and thus bypass restrictions in place during web based testing. The existing template to remove define appears to only apply to pdfs... We need to remove for all of edge. 

10 Replies

@pachecotj Hello!  You mentioned the mini menu is removed but the "Define" option is still showing.  Can you provide more information about how to reproduce this?  

Are you using the QuickSearchShowMiniMenu policy to disable the mini menu?  Microsoft Edge Browser Policy Documentation | Microsoft Learn

-Kelly

@Kelly_Y
The QuickSearchShowMiniMenu removes the (hover) mini menu however the 'define' option still shows as part of the 'right-click' context menu which is separate from the mini menu.  If a user right clicks and chooses 'define', a window opens asking if they want to search bing online which then opens a sidebar search again. We need to be able to block ALL methods that students can invoke the sidebar search as it allows a student to find answers while in many web-based assessment programs. 

Furthermore - The 'Define' option is part of the new 'Smart Actions' . There is a policy to block the Define option from working but it only affects PDF (SMART_ACTIONS_PDF) shown in the browser. We need it blocked COMPLETELY from EDGE.

@pachecotj Thanks for the clarification!  I understand you've tried to use the SmartActionsBlockList policy but that only works for PDF files.  

It looks like the only way to turn off the "Define" option is in the Settings edge://settings/appearance.

Kelly_Y_0-1668197326721.png

Can you please submit your feature request to the team through our in-browser feedback tool? It's under "..." menu > Help and feedback > Send feedback.  Thanks! 

-Kelly

I did submit a feature request there previously. Yes, a user can turn it off manually from that location but asking thousands of end users to please disable a feature that we need off for testing is a problem. I see no way to manage this toggle through active directory or Intune.

@pachecotj Thanks!  I was able to track down the feedback you submitted at the beginning of the month.  I've created an internal work item for the team to review and I can let you know if I hear any updates from them.  

-Kelly

Thank you - That is the final loophole we need to close as students are able to utilize the sidebar for getting answers to tests completed in varies online products.

@pachecotj Have you got solution for this query.. I also need to block show smart actions under Context menus

@Branesh   No we have not. Preventing access to the sidebar browser has been a constant problem as they have multiple ways to reopen it. The option to remove Define from the menu is available to toggle off but it is only end-user controllable as it sets it as a preference that we have been unable to target with any configuration policies. 

@pachecotj @Branesh Hi - Starting in Microsoft Edge version 120, we've added a new feature to the SmartActionsBlockList Policy which will remove smart actions like "Define".  

Here are the Release Notes: Microsoft Edge release notes for Beta Channel | Microsoft Learn

Here is a link to the Policy Doc: Microsoft Edge Browser Policy Documentation | Microsoft Learn

Thanks for your feedback!  

-Kelly