SOLVED

'Work - Edge' Desktop Shortcut Reappears after deleting and reopening Edge Browser

Copper Contributor

End user removes the spam Desktop shortcut labeled 'Work - Edge':

srabago_0-1692901859406.png

Once they reopen the Edge browser, the app shortcut reappears.

141 Replies

@RobEhrlich Hello!  Sorry to hear the updated build has not fixed your issue.  Would you be able to reach out to Support (Support - Microsoft Edge Developer) to troubleshoot further?  I've not heard of other cases where the issue is still reproducing and they should be able to gather logs and other diagnostic data to help investigate your specific case.  Thanks! 

-Kelly

Hello @Kelly_Y 

I have applied the Edge Version 116.0.1938.69 fix to around 12 of my customers and am still seeing the issue with a few customers where a new shortcut is being created each time they launch it.  Are there any updates on this?

Thanks

Tried this fix as well. Organization has around 7900 client machines and it's starting to crop up. Being on OneDrive seems to exacerbate the issue. Affects both the Windows 10 and 11 platforms.
There an official fix on the production channel planned?

This is still happening even for users on 116.0.1938.69. Not really sure what to do and the problem is propping up for more users.

@srabago @Kelly_Y 

Updated Edge to 116.0.1938.69.  Issue still occurring.  OneDrive can't merge the changes in the files.

Robert_T2000_0-1693951000418.png

Is there any news in this case, we are also experiencing this issue on Edge version 116.0.1938.69 and with OneDrive sync.

The only workaround we have concluded for now, is to have the users sign out of the profile that Edge signes into (we sign in with the AD account, which I believe now is Entra ID). Then it is possible to delete the shortcuts without them reappearing.

Which release/version of the stable release should contain the fix?
Thanks!
@Kelly_Y 
//Anders

@Kelly_Y Why does Edge need to update its shortcut everything the users closes Edge?  It's not like the shortcut changes.  The target is the same.  The only difference is the modified date/time.

I found a workaround. Turn off the briefcase option in Edge.

Open SETTINGS > APPEARANCE and turn off "Show Briefcase Icon on work profiles." Then restart Edge.

You'll need to delete the duplicate icons, but new ones will not be created.
Wish there was a way to control that as an Admin for our end users. Huge fail on MS's part.
On an initial control case of one , this does seem to have worked for me. I'll edit or re-comment if it proves to not be the ticket.
I had a user that was experiencing this issue, and they were on the supposedly fixed Stable release Version 116.0.1938.69, so unless being on that version was only part of the issue, I don't think it's the entire solution.
Thanks for sharing this. I'll be back if this didn't help... :p
I believe I can summarize the issue. This only occurs if a user has Edge Business running on two computers and they are syncing the computers with OneDrive. The Edge Business shortcut icon is updated every time Edge is closed. Occasionally the icon is locked by Edge which doesn't allow it to be overwritten by the other instance. To consistently cause the issue, close Edge on both computers within a few seconds of each other the duplicate icons will always be created.

The only solution until Microsoft changes this icon creation routine is to move away from Edge Business by turning off the Briefcase option in SETTINGS > APPEARANCE.
It also happens on VDI with OneDrive running and backing up the user's Desktop folder. While in VDI there is no other instance of Edge running as these are non-persistant desktops and people are only allowed to log into 1 desktop at a time, as set forth in VMware. There could be an oddity that OneDrive locks the shortcut while "syncing" causing Edge to create a new shortcut. I feel the solution would be to remove the "Profiles" function from Edge all together. If you are using Edge for business, in a business environment, then you shouldnt be loading your personal profile. That is just asking for trouble. Just my 2 cents.
@Keith_B2023 If it matters, our setup uses VMware too though the desktop is not a true VDI deployment. We are using VMware Blast to connect to a physical desktop.

@Keith_B2023 @Robert_T2000 Thank you both for the detailed descriptions!  After updating to Version 116.0.1938.69, what is the name of the new shortcuts being created?  Is it Work – Edge or something different?  If you have a screenshot, that would be great as well.  

-Kelly

@Kelly_Y 
Here is a screen shot of the icons. As you can see, there are a few differently named ones.

"Work - Edge-"
"Profile 1 - Edge-"
"Microsoft Edge-"
the last one i mentioned isn't in the screen shot but I have seen that one as well. 

Hopefully this helps you guys.edge icons2.png

@Shredwerd009 Thank you!  I'm going to pass this information along to our developer.  Just to confirm, the screenshot is from right after you updated to Stable Version 116.0.1938.69?  

-Kelly

Ours is "Work - Edge" + the computer name once or multiple times depending on how many copies are created.

Work - Edge-COMPUTERNAME
Work - Edge-COMPUTERNAME-2
Work - Edge-COMPUTERNAME-COMPUTERNAME
Work - Edge-COMPUTERNAME-COMPUTERNAME-2
Work - Edge-COMPUTERNAME-COMPUTERNAME-COMPUTERNAME
Work - Edge-COMPUTERNAME-COMPUTERNAME-COMPUTERNAME2
etc.

Version 116.0.1938.69 (Official build) (64-bit)

I should note this does not always occur.  I have consistently been able to recreate if I'm signed on to two computers linked with OneDrive and close Edge at the same time (within a few seconds of each other).

It is a older screenshot, but for accuracy's sake, I will ask our help desk to get a screenshot of the icons and double check the users Edge version. I will get back to you!