Top Feedback Summary for July 28

Microsoft

Note: This is no longer the most recent top feedback summary. You can always find the latest at https://aka.ms/MSEdgeTopFeedback.

Hey there, Insiders! Today we update Beta to Edge 85 and Dev is getting Edge 86. To see what’s new in Beta, check out our release notes. As always, you can see the changes we’ve made for Dev in Josh’s Dev channel update post.

In case you missed it, we posted about Microsoft Edge features starting to show up on the M365 roadmap and our Beta and Stable release schedules! These items weren’t highlighted on these updates, however the team has been working on bringing them all to you. Keep an eye out on the M365 Roadmap portal for more Edge features as they appear.

This week, we’re adding one new item under Planned, Enable customers to pin sites to Start Menu in Windows. Additionally, we’ve added a new item to Under Review, Restore tabs if Edge or the OS is restarted for any reason. Once we have more information around these two new items, we’ll share those details here.

That’s it for this week! Curious about the other items listed here? Any that you see on this list has an up to date status! Once we have more information for any of these, you will see us post about it in these updates from the team.

Here’s the updated list for this week:

Status

Feedback

On this list for

Planned for Summer

Enable navigation of PDF files via table of contents

24 weeks

Planned for Summer

Enable sync of browsing history between devices

38 weeks

Planned

Enable customers to pin sites to Start Menu in Windows

New!

Planned

Enable automatic generation of strong passwords

6 weeks

Planned

Support two-page layout in PDF reader

6 weeks

Planned

Edge launches with previous session’s tabs when “On startup” setting is set to “Open a new tab”

6 weeks

Planned

Add option to remove previous search terms from the New Tab Page’s search box auto-suggestion list 

7 weeks

Planned

Add "text notes" feature to PDF files

11 weeks

Planned

Voice search on google.com doesn’t work

13 weeks

Planned

MSA profile picture is not updating

16 weeks

Planned

Allow more top sites on the New Tab Page

21 weeks

Planned

Make Edge available on Linux

27 weeks

Planned

(Join the discussion)

Add the ability to ink on web pages

39 weeks

Planned

(Join the discussion)

Provide run / open / save / save as options when downloading files

49 weeks

Planned

(Join the discussion)

Provide different options for sorting favorites

49 weeks

Planned

(Learn more)

Support themes from the Chrome Web Store

49 weeks

Planned

Provide an option to prevent auto-play of video and audio when you open a website

49 weeks

Planned

(Join the discussion)

Bring the Ask Cortana feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

49 weeks

Alternative Planned
(Join the discussion)

Update the user interface with the Fluent Design System

49 weeks

In Discussion
(Join the discussion)

Ask users if they want to close all tabs when they close a browser window

44 weeks

In Discussion
(Join the discussion)

The address bar and its text are too big, and should be smaller like Chrome

47 weeks

In Discussion
(Join the discussion)

Bring the tab set aside feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

49 weeks

In Discussion

(Join the discussion)

Bring the tab preview feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

49 weeks

Under Review

Restore tabs if Edge or the OS is restarted for any reason

New!

Under Review

Some web page fonts are blurry

12 weeks

Under Review

Add ability to close tabs via double-click

16 weeks

Not Planned

Support mouse gestures for common actions like navigation and tab close

13 weeks

Not Planned

(View the discussion)

Allow sign-in to the browser with a Google account

23 weeks

Not planned

(See the discussion)

Bring the reading list feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

35 weeks

Not Planned
(Read the discussion)

Provide a transparent theme for the browser frame

43 weeks

Not Planned
(Read the discussion)

Make tabs more square and less rounded, like the current version of Microsoft Edge

47 weeks

And here’s the list of top “quality areas” that we’re actively working on in response to your feedback:

Bring more extensions to the extensions store

Edge should use less memory than it does

Edge should use less CPU than it does

Scrolling should feel smoother for web pages

Scrolling should feel smoother for PDF files

Opening a new tab is too slow

Update does not always work reliably

Definitions:

Addressed – Changes to address this feedback are visible to all users in the Canary and Dev channels

Not Planned – We don’t currently plan to address this feedback, though we will continue to track it and reconsider our approach if needed.

Planned for… – We’re working on this and currently plan for it to be addressed in the Canary channel before the end of the month indicated.

Planned - We have reviewed this feedback and have a plan to address it. However, we aren't ready to share a target time frame just yet. 

Alternative Planned - We don’t currently plan to directly address this feedback; however, we are working on addressing this in the form of a new feature.

In Discussion – We’ve reviewed this feedback and to learn more we have started a discussion about it here in the Microsoft Edge Insider Forum.

Under Review – We are reviewing this feedback internally and do not have a plan to share at this time.

Quality Area – We will give extra weight to fixes and opportunities in this area. Please continue to report specific bugs and make specific asks. 

Archive of previously addressed topics:

Spoiler

Feedback

On this list for

Addressed on

Highlighter tool for PDF files

21 weeks

July 15, 2020

Mouse cursor sometimes disappears

(Read the discussion)

11 weeks

June 24, 2020

Support read aloud of PDF files

20 weeks

June 9, 2020

Edge cannot find devices to cast media (Learn more)

16 weeks

May 19, 2020

Provide option to keep specific cookies when choosing to clear browsing data on close

21 weeks

Apr 7, 2020

Option to set a custom photo as the New Tab Page background photo

33 weeks

Apr 7, 2020

Add an option to hide the Bing search bar on the new tab page (Learn more)

32 weeks

Mar 31, 2020

Allow the search bar in the new tab page to be configured with other search providers (Learn more)

32 weeks

Mar 31, 2020

Provide an option to set a custom URL for a new tab instead of showing the new tab page (Learn more)

32 weeks

Mar 31, 2020

Enable sync of installed browser extensions between devices

19 weeks

Mar 19. 2020

Some users are unable to access any web page

3 weeks

Mar 11, 2020

Favorites sync issues, including sync not working, deleted favorites reappearing, and favorites being duplicated

13 weeks

Mar 4, 2020

Provide an option to add a share button to the tool bar

17 weeks

Feb 26, 2020

Need for better handling of links when there is more than one profile

26 weeks

Feb 21, 2020

Touchpad two-finger scrolling is sometimes triggering a right click instead

24 weeks

Feb 21, 2020

Add the ability to change the location for news content on the new tab page

20 weeks

Jan 22, 2020

Provide the ability to change the title of tiles on the new tab page

22 weeks

Jan 22, 2020

Enable search in the extensions store

17 weeks

Dec 19, 2019

The taskbar icon is not updating to the new Microsoft Edge logo

1 week

Nov 14, 2019

A round of improvements to scrolling experience, with more (including performance) to come down the line

12 weeks

Nov 14, 2019

YouTube.com does not render properly and appears extremely magnified

1 week

Nov 4, 2019

Bring the OneNote Web Clipper to the Microsoft Edge extensions store

4 weeks

Nov 4, 2019

Improve discoverability of the home button since some users are asking for it. (Join the discussion)

8 weeks

October 29, 2019

Microsoft Edge is crashing whenever a new tab is opened from a link

1 week

October 22, 2019

Inking for PDF files

9 weeks

October 22, 2019

Provide an option to remove the send feedback “smiley” button from the toolbar

1 week

October 15, 2019

Show the New Tab Page in dark theme when the browser is in dark theme

6 weeks

October 1, 2019

Add the ability to turn off the news feed on the new tab page

6 weeks

October 1, 2019

ClickOnce deployment of Windows applications from web pages

6 weeks

October 1, 2019

Website elements are being flipped upside down when switching between tabs

1 week

September 17, 2019

Sign-in profile picture is not always kept up to date

4 weeks

September 17, 2019

“Administrator Mode Detected” error message when opening the browser

2 weeks

September 4, 2019

Add a favorites button to the toolbar, for quicker access to favorites

1 week

August 29, 2019

Make it easier to share web content with other users and apps

1 week

August 29, 2019

Drop down menus in some web pages are not working

1 week

August 29, 2019

Add a dark theme to Microsoft Edge

Addressed before these posts started

Build translation capabilities into the browser

Delete browsing history on exit

Show favorites bar only on the new tab page

Bring back reading view

Sync data with my work or school account

18 Replies

@MissyQ 

How about letting us know if you all are working on the vertical tabs feature; Planned, Planned for ????, Planned for the year 2030.. etc...... Was originally stated as "coming in the next couple months" back in March...

Dennis5mile

@Dennis5mile It is not considered a Top Feedback item, but a feature that we are planning on rolling out. We do not list all of those on this weekly update. Check out the roadmap mentioned to see if the feature shows up there, as that will be the best way to see when these features roll out. :)

Missy Quarry (she/her/hers)
Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

Yeah, only problem is they only go as high as Microsoft Edge V85... Maybe if I can get the community to chime in we can get the vert tabs into a higher priority...

Dennis5mile

@MissyQ vertical tabs is arguably the most anticipated feature. Maybe you could post the list of  feature that are planned on rolling out? If there is no hard dates at least with order or priority...

As already mentioned roadmap goes to V85 and we already are now on V86...

they did the same with sync history feature, not considered a top feedback item LOL

@cazafurcias42 History sync is listed on this page, as it is one of the top items we get feedback for.

@Dim Moskalenlo Edge Dev is on 86, you are correct. However most enterprise users are either on 84 or 85, which are our Stable and Beta channels respectively. The roadmap is geared more towards those enterprise users, and more things will be coming with time. :)

I can sync up with the team to determine if there might be enough feedback to bring vertical tabs onto this list. However, since this is already a feature we announced, I can't make any guarantees about it. I am also confident that there's a select few of you on these forums who will find the feature pretty quickly once we put it into Canary. ;) I'll circle back once I know more, or maybe will provide an update about vertical tabs next week. Appreciate y'all!!

Cool thanks so much @MissyQ! Hope you have some news to tell us soon. :)

Now if we could only get more folks to give their say on how they feel about Vert Tabs, maybe would could move up the line further.. :D

Dennis5mile

@MissyQ 

After being away from "new-edge" for a while I'm back ;)

New case but some common Issues

1. Epub support. The company manuals and so on are in Epub format. Since the support is gone they are stuck on classic edge for that

2. Youtube right click on touch doesn't work correctly. If you are watching a video and right click on another in the "up next" column you do not get the edge menu to allow you to open in a new tab - it works in classic edge and it also works with a physical mouse

3. I know there is work being done on performance but I got a scary example.
Two tabs - static text. Edge classic 28MB ram 0,1% CPU. New Edge 280MB ram 17,1% CPU. On embedded 2GB systems this is a big issue

@matsmcp Hey, welcome back! Appreciate you reaching out to share your thoughts.

1. We discontinued epub support last year, and supplied on this support article some options for replacements from the Microsoft Store.

2. Touch input is something I've been actively gathering more details on. Please submit feedback directly through the browser right after you attempt the action. Include diagnostics and detail exactly what steps you take so it's easy for the entire team to follow what you are doing as you use touch features. (A tip that was taught to me when I was learning how to write bugs many moons ago: Write your steps as if someone has never touched the thing you're working on. This is great advice for submitting bugs/issues, as well. Everyone uses the browser slightly differently, including those of us building it.) If you include you're email, you'll receive updates once your feedback has actions taken on it. Let me know once you do, so I can share it with the team.

3. Same as above, please submit feedback about any performance issues you run into. We keep performance items such as CPU and RAM usage under our Quality Areas since that's what we expect to continuously improve. Having detailed feedback helps us understand the needs of users like yourself, which in turn helps us make those improvements. :)

Again, happy to see you return! :3

@Dennis5mile I get the feeling that the edge team (at least from the consumer perspective) is pretty small and underfunded for rapid and stable product updates. Their focus also appears to be heavily on the enterprise side of things. Perhaps the stuff we (consumers) want is not as important as enterprise customers? :\

@MissyQ 

Am I missing something or has the ability to sync with Edge for Microsoft Business Basic users just being completely ignored? It has been quite some months now.

Kind regards,

Craig

@falkemarkcraig Not ignored, simply still being worked on. I understand that users like yourselves are excited to see that change come, and we'll share more once we have an update to provide. :)

@MissyQ I believe for "Bring the reading list feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge" considers Alternative Planned, because Collection feature pretty much supports the requirement and with some investigation and testing on use cases, Collection could cover requirements for Reading List too.

@MissyQ 

Thanks for your kind words.

For Epub I should have said that it's "embedded" systems so they are on ltsc and therefore no store.

For Youtube - I have found a screenrecording software so I hope I can provide video of the issue in the near future

@MissyQ I am so pleased that 'Enable customers to pin sites to Start Menu in Windows' is now planned. It seemed like a backwards step to omit this function and only allow pinning to the Task Bar.

@MissyQ Hi Ma'am.. When we hover over a tab, while working in another tab, if we can get a Tab Preview peek on entire screen just like as Peeking on Desktop works so not just a small thumbnail as that would be extremely helpful.

@MissyQ 

Nice to see the ability to set the background for new tab pages is coming and is in Dev now this is definitely going the right way for enterprises. I'm guessing these policies will appear in Intune in the near future?

Also along the same subject it would be good to be able to set the page layout by policy also so be able to force users to have "Focused/Inspirational/Informational" depending on what the business decides is the the best fit 

@MissyQ 

I have sent feedback on the touch issue 

I made three small videos on it 

The first one is Edge chromium and I try to right click by holding down my finger on the link. It doesn't work and is treated as a left click (Edge Chromium touch.avi)

If I do the same thing in Edge Classic it works (Edge Classic touch.avi)

And as a reference I did the same thing with Edge Chromium and a mouse - it also works (Edge Chromium mouse.avi). But having to have a mouse attached to a surface pro kind of defeats the purpose of a touch screen .......