SOLVED

Ongoing sync between Microsoft Edge and Chrome - Discussion

This thread has been locked for new comments by a moderator, if you have a new similar issue then please start a new thread.
Microsoft

Thanks for your feedback requesting the ability to have ongoing sync between Microsoft Edge and Chrome. 

While we recognize this need, we’re currently focused on creating great 1st party sync experiences with your Microsoft account and Work or School account. If you are a Chrome user today, you already have option available to import all your data from Chrome to have Microsoft Edge personalized with all your browsing data.

If you are still looking for ongoing sync between Microsoft Edge and Chrome, please share some more details about your scenario.

1. Why would you like an ongoing sync between the two? What problem would it solve for you?
  2. Do you expect to leverage this ongoing sync only for a short period of time (for instance during initial assessment of Microsoft Edge) or for long period (continue to use multiple browsers)?
  3. How would the absence of this ability change your perspective on Microsoft Edge adoption?
  4. Would the creation of a Chrome extension fulfil your requirement?

We will keep you updated as we better understand the needs of our community.

180 Replies

@civivm

@civivm wrote:

@akhator 

I use an Android phone which has Chrome pre-installed. I prefer to continue using the app [...] Moreover, sync in Chrome has been quite helpful for me to access and sign into websites quickly cross-device. After switching to Edge, it has become difficult to access content that I have already come across on the other browser without beginning from scratch.

Yes! This is EXACTLY why I need this feature too! I need Edge on my desktop to sync with Chrome on my phone (wow that rhymed lol).

@akhator Hi, I see this is quite a hot debate so I won't add fuel to the flame but I'd like to share my situation. I used Chrome for years until the latest version of Edge appeared on my PC. I really like it so it's now my default browser. My tablet is Android and I have an iPhone, both with Chrome. If I could have Edge on my mobile devices I would. I have many bookmarks and frequently add new ones, which I then need to manually sync between browsers. This can be time-consuming and is easily forgotten. My browsers are configured to delete history on exit so I don't need history synced, just bookmarks. Of course everyone's needs are going to be different so I wonder if a modular approach is feasible? And yes, let's respect the point of view of others! 

• @akhator  says: If you are still looking for ongoing sync between Microsoft Edge and Chrome, please share some more details about your scenario.

I am looking for ongoing, bidirectional, sync between MS Edge and Chrome, as I describe below.

• Why would you like an ongoing sync between the two? What problem would it solve for you?

I would like ongoing bidirectional sync for reasons that include the following:

a)  I would like to use MS Edge  because it has the reputation of being better in combination with Dragon speech recognition, which I need for accessibility reasons.

b)  however, my employer is a Google shop:  Gmail, Google docs, Google accounts,…  My employer's IT department is reluctant to support MS Edge, and only officially supports Google Chrome and Chrome apps. I know that they are supposed to work in both places,  but if IT  refuses to look at MS Edge when I have a problem…

c)  Nevertheless, I would like to be able to use MS Edge for both work and personal as long as it doesn't have trouble. But when I need help from IT, I may have to switch back using Chrome.   and when I switch back, it is more convenient to have my environment synced,  including bookmarks/favorites etc.

d)  furthermore, some of my work involves developing  webpages,  server-side apps, and browser side apps that must render on  multiple browsers. Chrome and FireFox required; MS Edge  is not yet a requirement, but it sure would be nice to make  them work on MS Edge because I would like to use MS Edge.  On Windows and  Linux,  Android and iPhone and some IoT.   It would be nice to be able to develop some of these things on MS Edge, e.g. composing the JavaScript writing, but I'm not yet able to switch  completely. Anyway, wherever I work I would like to have my environment, at the very least my bookmarks.

By the way, my priority for synchronization is as follows:

*  bookmarks -  at the very least because some of the web locations that I need to test will be in my bookmarks

*  extensions/add-ons -  nice to have, not required

*  passwords and accounts -  almost definitely not,  except for the minimum required to synchronize bookmarks. I certainly will not use browser password management. I use LastPass.

• Do you expect to leverage this ongoing sync only for a short period of time (for instance during initial assessment of Microsoft Edge) or for long period (continue to use multiple browsers)?

Forever. Or at least until one of Microsoft Edge or Google Chrome is end-of-lifed.

Forever -  for the "develop stuff  that targets multiple browsers",  and also the "develop using tools that run in multiple browsers" use cases.

For the foreseeable future  I expect to want to be able to switch transparently between MS Edge and Google Chrome, i.e. using both of them as "home"  browsers.  in much the way that I  maintain the same environment on Firefox and Chrome.   Sync, though, always has problems.

--

BTW, since syncing bookmarks is my primary concern,  I do have another  option:   I can try to avoid using browser bookmarks, and save the  links that I want to save in a shared document.  E.g. in Google Drive,   which I know  allows concurrent manipulation  from different machines and accounts  and has good enough off-line support . 

It is possible that the same thing could be done in MS OneDrive,  although I had enough problems with concurrent editing and Synchronization failures in  OneDrive that I am reluctant to do that at this time.

I have used the DIY cloud file system approach for synchronizing bookmarks before, although at the moment I don't have any plug-ins and make it particularly easy.

I would be very happy if Microsoft Edge provided the ability to store bookmarks/favorites in a OneDrive or other cloud file system file. Not just export once, but continuously. Ideally, if MS Edge just used the cloud file as the bookmark/favorite storage.  Not only would this solve the bookmark/favorite synchronization problem in a more generic way, but it would also make bookmarks much more useful, because in such a file you can format and add a lot more metadata than you can in the typical browser-based bookmark system.

However, that would only solve  the bookmarks/ favorites synchronization issue.  it would not solve the other issues like extensions, although as  I note those are much less important to me.

• How would the absence of this ability change your perspective on Microsoft Edge adoption?

Although I am eager to use MS Edge  to get better Dragon voice recognition, I simply cannot commit to using it  while my IT department does not support it and while MS Edge does not synchronize my environment continuously and bidirectionally with Google Chrome.

Until there is continuous and bidirectional synchronization, I am just playing with MS Edge. Not really using it. Not using it as my primary browser or even my secondary browser.

Would the creation of a Chrome extension fulfil your requirement?

It depends on what the Chrome extension does.    if the extension does continuous and bidirectional synchronization, yes.  if the extension allows all bookmarks on both Google Chrome and MS Edge to be saved in a shared cloud file, yes

But if the extension is just an export once, no.

If the extension is a slightly better export, that allows merges of data from both browsers, maybe.  that would be good enough to make it possible to use MS Edge more often,  but having to manually merge provides friction that would be an impediment. And at the moment, if there is friction,  MS Edge loses.

@NamishB  Most third-party chrome extensions  synchronize through third-party storage.   

First, third-party extensions that require third-party storage have a bad habit of disappearing. As anyone who has had to migrate their stuff off such systems when the company is failing, or simply when the company got acquired and the acquirer decides not to maintain the service, know this.

Furthermore, third party is unacceptable when some of the data that is being synchronized is sensitive.  not necessarily passwords ( I don't save passwords  and web browsers),  but sometimes just  the very bookmarks/favorites are sensitive. E.g. they might   contain the names of not yet released products.

OK, that's solved by encryption. But then I need to verify that the third party extension  encrypts properly when I first install the extension,  does not provide the  third-party the ability to decrypt.   and  furthermore you need to verify this every time the extension is released. That's a lot of overhead.

Yes:  I work in security,  and I work on things that need to be kept secret.

===

But:  Google Chrome and MS Edge extensions  that allowed the synchronization of bookmarks through files kept in the cloud such as Google Drive or MS OneDrive would be acceptable. I already have to trust Google and/or Microsoft.   

@akhator 

If you are still looking for ongoing sync between Microsoft Edge and Chrome, please share some more details about your scenario.

Why would you like an ongoing sync between the two? What problem would it solve for you?

My workplace is still using Chrome as their main browser and are unlikely to change anytime soon.

But I prefer Edge(Chromium) because it is far more responsive and less resource intensive atm.

Do you expect to leverage this ongoing sync only for a short period of time (for instance during initial assessment of Microsoft Edge) or for long period (continue to use multiple browsers)?

For as long as my employer continues to use Chrome instead of Edge.

How would the absence of this ability change your perspective on Microsoft Edge adoption?

I might have to consider switching back to Chrome for sharing work related web resources between home and work.

Would the creation of a Chrome extension fulfil your requirement?

Probably if it allows 2-way syncing of bookmarks

@akhator A browser extension would work, but I feel that synchronization in the cloud would probably be the best option for users.

A use-case would be if people have Chromebooks but want to use Edge on their desktop.

It's an odd combination for sure.

I would use an auto sync from Edge to Chrome.  I use Edge for all my work related items and keep Chrome for personal, mostly because I use Google OS at home, and do a lot of work from my Chromebook when I'm not in the office.  I did search for Edge in the Google Play store, but did not see it - that would be an option too instead of doing a bookmark merge/sync. @akhator 

@akhator 

Perhaps MS could contribute code to the xBrowserSync project on GitHub to help ramp up its Edge/Chromium support. Right now, their FAQ says Edge support due in v1.6.0, but they're only on v1.1.12 at the moment.

I love the fact that xBrowserSync lets anyone host a public sync service--or run a private one for themselves--no Google/MS/etc. account required! It even respects the browser's built-in bookmarks UI, and adds notes, tags, and search to boot. This is a terrific solution, from a user perspective. Check it out!

So really, the solution's already there. It just needs a bit of help to get the Edge support done sooner.

This would be a win-win-win for the Edge community, xBrowserSync, and MS.

Lastly, I think a non-affiliated, OSS sync solution would make it much easier for people to switch to Edge. For instance, I still use Chrome quite a bit and it remains the source of truth for my bookmarks. Having to keep importing bookmarks to Edge is an obstacle, and it means I can't really use Edge to add bookmarks. It forces me into an all-or-nothing choice, or worse: bookmarks scattered across browsers!

P.S. They could also use help getting an iOS solution out--right now they only have an Andriod app.

@akhator 

I'd appreciate to safely sync personal credentials between Edge and Chrome.
By synchronizing "everything" the two might as well get married. I don't think this to be a good idea.
How about separating the options to sync? Some only want to sync Bookmarks others want extensions only (or in addition to Bookmarks) and yet others want to sync everything.
My preference is to keep them options apart, if ever possible.

Sync as much as you can, but please give the users the freedom to choose from what they want to be synchronized.

@akhator 

Hi.

I have been a google chrome and firefox user for years.

I am a student at a nearby community college. Their system is not compatible with Microsoft edge.

I just noticed a "not syncing" message in the upper right corner of my gmail window.

What is going on?

Thank you.

Colin

It appears that you're not logged in. you need a Microsoft account to sync with Microsoft Edge, just like you use Google account to sync Google chrome.

the good thing is, Microsoft lets you create a Microsoft account using your Gmail account too.

@akhator 
The key feature I am looking for is ongoing and perpetual sync of passwords between Microsoft Edge and Chrome. The reason I am looking for this functionality is that Edge for Android is not able seamlessly pass credentials to Android apps. Only passwords stored within Chrome can be auto-filled in Android apps. While I use Edge on both Windows and Android devices as my primary browser, I must maintain the Chrome password store for apps and services I use on my Android device. 

@akhator Allow me to throw my comments to echo a lot of others here in saying that I very much want the ability to sync via Google account sync. I use a Chromebook at home, a Windows laptop for work, and an Android phone. I use Chrome a lot, obviously, but even I freely admit that ad blocking SUCKS on Android with stock Chrome browser. As a result, I enjoy using Edge instead. I have a boatload of bookmarks, passwords, and frankly I just don't want to manually sync. I like the prospect of syncing my Google account data, because a) it's all Chromium, after all, and b) I should just be able to have one account to rule them all and know that whatever computer I'm on, whatever browser I use, that data is there for me.

@akhator 

1) I've always used Chrome and I still want to use it for some reason. I want to use both Chrome and Edge together. I would like an ongoing sync not one time only.

There are also many extensions' data I accumulated over years in Chrome and I don't want to loose them. In any case, I may always use Chrome somewhere. So I'd like them to be able to sync.

2) I expect to leverage it for long period

3) YES, today, I tried to switch to Edge but this is a deal breaker. I don't want to let Chrome 100%. So I imported my current data to edge then I stopped and searched online and now I'm here. I will not switch until it's solved.

If it was possible to sync Chrome with Microsoft account it would have solved my problem.

4) yes a Chrome extension that would sync my stuffs to Microsoft account would be ok.

5) BUT I DON'T WANT BOOKMARKS ONLY. I'm really willing to sync everything not just bookmarks. There are already many 3rd party solutions for bookmarks.

Thank you, I'll switch when it's ready.

The only thing that bothers me is the bookmark, for the password, I use the free version of LastPass.

If Microsoft brings an extension to chrome store that syncs the bookmark b/w edge to Chrome (visa versa) real-time that would be amazing. 

Com'on Microsoft do this already.

@akhator 

1. Why would you like an ongoing sync between the two? What problem would it solve for you?

I use Chrome at home and Edge at work, but I work from both locations.  Auto-sync would eliminate having to install more than one browser on either system while maintaining the ability to use either platform for work or personal activity.

1. Do you expect to leverage this ongoing sync only for a short period of time (for instance during initial assessment of Microsoft Edge) or for long period (continue to use multiple browsers)?

Definitely long term; there are features of both browsers and their supporting infrastructure that I like, but their divergent nature means either abandoning one or the other, in lieu of an ongoing sync feature.

1. How would the absence of this ability change your perspective on Microsoft Edge adoption?

I really like the new Edge, but I'm already advocating for a solution that allows our workforce to switch seamlessly from the office to a remote work environment without changing their preferences or work habits.  This sync feature would eliminate a major user irritant.

1. Would the creation of a Chrome extension fulfil your requirement?

Possibly; the technical implementation isn't as important as the functional use.  However, an extension might be viewed as less secure than an integrated background function of the browser.

@akhator, my main use case for this is that I have a Chromebook which cannot run Edge (not available in Google Play Store for the Lenovo Chromebooks), and therefore I must use Chrome.

Not having the browser bookmarks sync between the two is a deal breaker for me, otherwise I would have switched.

@akhator I'm using both - Chrome and Edge on different computers. This pushes me back to Chrome sometimes. Having automated 2-way sync between Chrome and Edge would be amazing.

Another possible option is the ability to use google account for sync instead of Hotmail.

@akhator 

This will be a great feature that new Edge users will love and will increase the adoption rate. 

I have the following scenario: 

I have used Chrome for a long time. I have created a large set bookmarks related to my profession and organized them to many diffrent folders. I create, add, and organize bookmarks mostly during my working. 

For my new job, I am forced to use Edge on my company laptop. I continue to use Chrome personally though. Now, as I am working, I see for example an interesting webpage that I want to add to my set of bookmarks, and I want to read the page later at home. The other way, at home I read an interesting page related to my work, and I want to continue reading it tomrrow at work.

This scenario cannot be solved by one-time or multiple import/export of bookmarks between two browsers. It requires ongoing sync between bookmarks. 

I would love to see this feature.  

@zardosht 

just switch to Edge then if you are not forced to use chrome.

if it's just your personal preference, then you can ask google to add Microsoft sync to their chrome browser to make it easier for you.

this will not, in any way, help Edge adoption, it just increases chrome's popularity.